Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda RX-7 or RX-8?

Options
  • 25-06-2007 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Right Lads,

I'm wondering can anybody advise me on these cars? I was looking at a few RX-7's on the net earlier on tonight & have to admit I am taken by them, particularly the twin-turbo, plus the fact that they're RWD. What are they like? Alot of them appear to have their rotary engines re-built for some reason. Does the engine need this after so many miles or what? Would I be correct in saying a Jap model would have a higher spec?

What about the RX-8? Which is the better car for your money?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Don't the RX-7s require frequent engine rebuilds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

The RX7 should be included in some kind of list of mans greatest inventions. No really a .. helpful comment.. just personal opinion..
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

afaik the rotary engine requires a rebuild every 60,000 miles or so. im sure someone on here can tell you the exact figure though. having been in both, i would describe the rx8 as being far more refined than the rx7. as the rx8 is newer, thats to be expected though. the rx7 is a much stiffer ride, but loads of fun. if i had the choice id go for a rx7. no specific reason, just personal preference (and then there is that beautiful re amemiya kit.....drool)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Are you looking for an everyday car or a weekend car? As an everyday car I'd say go for the rx8. AFAIK the rx7's regularly required rebuilds (every 60k though I've heard people say a lot higher mileage was possible).

The Rx8 engine will last a lot longer (take a look at the UK owners club, some of them have more then 70k and there's one report of almost 100k) but it will require a little TLC. Stuff like you can turn it on and off again without warming the engine (otherwise you run the risk of flooding and possibly knackering your cat) and you need to check the oil level every second fill up as it uses some of the oil to lubricate the rotar heads.

There are issues to watch out when buying, there was a fair few service bullitions that you need to make sure where taken care of. If you can find one with after market rims you'd be better off as it seems the mazda ones often "bubble" (only cosmetic though)

If it was my money, I'd be looking at an RX8. In fact, I AM looking at an rx8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Yes it's an everyday car I had in mind, but I would only be doing 10-12K (if even) per annum. From what you guys are telling me though they sound like even higher maintenance than I had anticipated. I mean why buy a car that's engine has to be rebuilt after 60K miles or so?

Wouldn't I be better off getting a good reliable as f**k Honda (I do like the DC5), turn the key in her, and start first time every day?

I'm looking for a new car & have a lot of time on my hands before I actually make a purchase so I'm telling myself I'll research it as much as possible in the meantime. I do like my performance, but I want reliability too. Previous cars owned were ITR DC2 & 180SX.

Any more feedback on the RX-7/8 appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Rotary engines are great, turbine smooth, but rotor tips wear and they are very heavy on fuel.

Maybe I wasn't clear. The RX8 doesn't need an engine rebuild after 60k, the RX7 does/might.

If you're looking for a low maintaince car I don't think the RX8 would be a good choice, like I said it has it's "qwerks". As long as you are aware and adhere to these it should be as reliable as any other car. The 50/50 weight distribution would make it great fun for driving too. As Henry Ford III says above the tips do wear but with the improvements in the renesis engine you should get well north off 100k before they go (again you need to watch your oil levels for this)

Also 300 miles from a (60 litre) tank is considered good going. The 192 version is a little eaiser on fuel and supposedly easier to drive around town.

Thanks Declan, from what you're saying the RX-8 doesn't sound like it requires any higher maintenance than a high performance car would anyway i.e. the usual things like regular servicing, checking oil levels, etc.

What year/model variations should I look out for? What is the best to get? I would tend to opt for a Jap model.

Pre 2006 there was only 2 models, comfort and exclusive. They broke down like this:

They all had:
    Bose stero
    18 inch rims
    tires were 225/45 (I think)
    Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)

Comfort had 192BHP, 5 speed box

Exclusive has 228BHP, Xenons and Aluminum pedals, 6 speed box

options where things like leather/heated/electric seats (separate or bundled, I'm not sure), Sat-nav, and probably other stuff I dunno

(UK) Colours were Galaxy Grey, Silver, Winning Blue, Strato Blue, Brilliant Black, Nordic Green and diaheria yellow

There are some limited editions to but I haven't looked into them too much.

If you go down the Jap road, be careful, their specs could different in ways like 17 inch rims, a flappy paddle 4 speed box (WTF like?) other colours and I've heard some of them don't have the DSC (this may be an urban legend though). As such I've decided to go to the UK to get mine.

I'm budgeting 27.5k for a 04 exclusive or a 05 comfort with leather seats all in.

If you want to read all the ins and outs take a look at http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum, more information then you could shake a stick at.

Cheers for that Declan, must check that site out. Anybody else got any more pointers/info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just remember, afaik, 192 bhp model is rated as a 1.8 for VRT and the 230bhp model is rated as a 2.6 for VRT.

Both are rated as 2.6 for insurance purposes.

All this is secondhand info, but just check it out first...............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I'll go for the RX-8 newer shape, nicer design and better engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Evo magazine said Rx 7 engine rebuilds are every 60k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Tanabe wrote:
    Right Lads,

I'm wondering can anybody advise me on these cars? I was looking at a few RX-7's on the net earlier on tonight & have to admit I am taken by them, particularly the twin-turbo, plus the fact that they're RWD. What are they like? Alot of them appear to have their rotary engines re-built for some reason. Does the engine need this after so many miles or what? Would I be correct in saying a Jap model would have a higher spec?

What about the RX-8? Which is the better car for your money?

Thanks.

2 pretty different cars, getting a 7 myself on Sunday.

Styling - I love the 7 but don't like the 8, if I had the money for an 8 id buy something else. But thats whatever your into really.

Power - Early 7's (FD models) started with 255 bhp in around 92 and increased as the years went on, finishing in 2002 with the Spirit R with around 300 bhp. The 8 comes in 192 and around 230 afaik. 7 is the lighter. The made a few improvements to the 8 but it's an N/A compared to the twin turbo in the 7.

Reliability - I've heard 8's will get to around 100k miles without a rebuild, the 7's will get to around 60k miles without one. 7's require alot of maintenance in terms of servicing and are hard on juice. Also if you buy an 8 you won't need a remap, if you buy a Jap 7 you will. Also you can't do things like start the car, move it out of the driveway and switch it off in a 7. Theres also a few bits you need to know about owning the 7 which probably also apply to the 8 like use mineral oil only.

So basically if your looking for a daily driver (like for commuting to work) I wouldn't buy a 7. If all your interested in is a fast car id choose something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

i remember being told that the RX-7 needed an engine rebuild every 60k kilometres or 40 k miles. Either way an RX-7 would cost a fortune to run, and is hardly the most reliable Mazda ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

E92 wrote:
    i remember being told that the RX-7 needed an engine rebuild every 60k kilometres or 40 k miles. Either way an RX-7 would cost a fortune to run, and is hardly the most reliable Mazda ever made.

Never 60k kilometers, ye its not the most reliable ... if you look after it, it will look after you. If your half assed with maintenance or don't know how to look after one then you'd be better buying something else

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Evo magazine said Rx 7 engine rebuilds are every 60k miles.

It is said, but it's not gospel, if you look after it properly you may get more, you may get a bit longer before it begins to loose compresson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Much as I LOVE the RX7, the RX8 is a smarter choice as a daily driver. Uses less fuel, less oil and is less maintenance intensive.

Checkout these wikipedia articles (and most importantly the links/references therin)

RX7 and RX8

/edit, actually despite logic pointing otherwise, id still go RX7. But im pretty used to spending time working on my cars.

Some excellent replies there guys, thanks, and keep them coming by all means!! As much as I love both the RX-7 or 8 to look at I'm thinking maybe the DC5 would be less hassle all round.

Somebody please convince me otherwise:eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How about an Alfa Romeo GT as an alternative?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=698456

Edit:- waits for the anti Alfa flaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'd go with the RX-8 it's a fantastic car - drove it around a test track at the London Motor Show last year I loved it! Styling is great and it's more practical it's not as blatant as a lot of cars in it's class I much prefer it's understated look than some of it's frankly gaudy rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gerryg

hey lads not bein rude u cant compare a rx7 to a rx8 the 7 wins everytime, just drive both, needs rebuild yes so do rx8 seen one with 40k km on it getting a rebuild all totally depends how you look after a rotary,
    dont mean to offend anyone cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

IBTL

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

gerryg wrote: »
    hey lads not bein rude u cant compare a rx7 to a rx8 the 7 wins everytime, just drive both, needs rebuild yes so do rx8 seen one with 40k km on it getting a rebuild all totally depends how you look after a rotary,
    dont mean to offend anyone cheers

Welcome to boards gerryg, please read each forums charter before posting. Dragging up 3 year old threads is a no no!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement