Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits for self-educating?

Options
  • 24-06-2007 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi, here's my situation, Im 21 living with my parents and just finished a degree in computer science and am applying for a masters in computer music which starts in late september.

I have a fair bit of things to teach myself before starting this course and feel I need this summer free from work. Am I entitled to anything under this circumstances? It seems like a long shot but I figured this is a good place to ask :)

The first thing that came to mind was going on the dole, but I don't need that much money (plus I'd feel like a bum :D ), it seems a little dishonest or something...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭digiology

One other question, if I am finished a degree but about to start a masters am I officially not a student until september?
    I see that one of the disqualifications for the jobseekers allows is being a student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Yes but it's while attending a full-time course of study. You are not a student for the summer after you have finished your degree. The degree and the masters are two separate courses eventhough they might be on the same subject matter, so you would be ok to sign on once the degree is completed and all the conditions are satisfied.

Ok, but like I said this isn't to tide me through while I find a job for the summer, I need time off to study, Im guessing I'll have to be actively looking for a job (and have proof of doing so) to be entitled to the dole?

Yes you will have to be activly seeking full-time work and ou should keep copies of any work search efforts you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

digiology wrote:
    The first thing that came to mind was going on the dole, but I don't need that much money (plus I'd feel like a bum :D ), it seems a little dishonest or something...

maybe your parents think differently ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

In that case maybe his parents need to give him a kick up the ass and tell him that a part-time job won't kill him.

Will you actively be seeking work? No

Will you, therefore, be entitled to jobseeker's benefit? I would imagine not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Blush_01 wrote:
    In that case maybe his parents need to give him a kick up the ass and tell him that a part-time job won't kill him.

Will you actively be seeking work? No

Will you, therefore, be entitled to jobseeker's benefit? I would imagine not.

yep, time to cut free form the apron strings I feel. Once U do that the rest will quicky fall into place (because it has to ;) )

Blush_01 wrote:

Thanks ;) I work my ass off I'll have you know, and deserve alot more than stacking shelves! The computer industry does NOT offer any part time jobs, hence my dilema.

Anyway, I'm going with a student loan, its a pity I'll have 3 or 4 grand to pay off after my masters but oh well...

I empathise, its hard i know as i was there myself about 5 years ago. Hopefully it wil all work out in the end and you will have the job you always dreamed of.

best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Thanks I work my ass off I'll have you know, and deserve alot more than stacking shelves! The computer industry does NOT offer any part time jobs, hence my dilema.

Anyway, I'm going with a student loan, its a pity I'll have 3 or 4 grand to pay off after my masters but oh well...

You serious?

I've stacked shelves, cleaned toilets, flipped burgers etc, did I deserve more, was it beneath me? - YES
    Did I earn enough to pay for my keep at home? - YES
    Did I leave college without a stranglehold of debt?-Yes

You would rather bum off the folks (because you won't get the dole, you don't have the stamps for the non means tested benefit, and the job seekers allowance will be based on your parents means), than take a student summer job?

• Advertisement
Advertisement