Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood panelling

Options
  • 24-06-2007 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Im looking to replace some pine wall panelling I installed a few years ago. It would only be covering the bottom half of the walls. Maybe some ash or oak (if it was resonably priced). Here is a pic of what I had in mind; The floors are semi solid oak. Any suggestions and where to get this type of panelling? Thanks.

custom_panel_main.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Best if you got someone in to do the job for you. What you would need to do is apply panels to the wall and then apply the rest over that then to create the effect your after. I would be willing to do this and source the materials also if you would like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Best if you got someone in to do the job for you. What you would need to do is apply panels to the wall and then apply the rest over that then to create the effect your after. I would be willing to do this and source the materials also if you would like?

Hey,

I was thinking a tradesman may be able to source materials easier and get some sort of reduction on it, but that would usually depend on the quantity I guess. I am in Dublin myself Galwaydude18 and Im sort of a handyman myself but I appreciate the offer. Cheers :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Cheapest option is to use mdf in your timber of choice, and attach with panel adhesive to the wall.

Use strips of the mdf , maybe 100 mm wide for the top, and uprights. 150 for the bottom horizontal , and plant them onto your mdf baseboard. Along the edges of the strips, add nice solid mouldings to cover the mdf edge. Along the top edge add a solid trim

Job done.
    Sorry Galwaydude....you shouldn;t have any time for nixers anyway...you should be busy working:p :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Masonite do a pre-made system of wainscoting which is suitable for DIY installation. Don't know who stocks it though, try enquiring around....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Hey kadman I always have time for nixers.... I'm flat out in work.. lol

Now to get my damn jeep up and running again!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

That's an interesting approach that Kadman and GalwayDude recommend, I have always wondered how that stuff was made and attached to the wall....

Instead of using 'applied mouldings' I would have made the uprights and base / top pieces on a spindle moulder similar to how I'd make 'rail & stile, raised panel' cabinet doors but the other method is probably easier and better.

If you're a DIYer you should be able to do the entire job youself, with the possible exception of cutting the panels, Woodworkers.ie near Harolds Cross in South Dublin could cut the panels for you very cheaply (in my opinion).

If you're stuck you could ring me, I have a cabinet making workshop but I think you'd be best off getting Woodworkers to do the cutting and do the rest yourself. (I was reluctant to make this offer as strictly speaking it may be against forum rules but I am recommending Woodworkers rather than me at the end of the day... like!)

Cheers
    Joe

Appericiate the offer Joe. Im gonna be looking for some mdf sheeting but I will need it cut to size and routered, so Im ringing around tomorrow for a good price. I'll try woodworkers in Harolds cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Woodworkers will do the cutting for you no problem.. .you just need to supply the dimensions.

I'm a bit confused as to what routering is required? You could use the 'applied mouldings' method which means you just have to buy mouldings from Woodworkers while you're there... then attach flat, square edged panels to the wall, then attach all the required trimmings and finally paint it all... sounds like a perfect job for a keen DIYer. A nail gun would be useful, definitely quicker than using a hammer and a nail punch!

Cheers
    Joe

edit... oh right, sorry, you want Oak or Ash rather than painted work... I just looked at the picture he he.... that'll be a little tougher... maybe that's why you need some solid Oak or Ash routered for the mouldings, for painted work you could have just used mouldings in any species.
    Producing the moulded edges is simple enough (on a wide board), cutting the thin mouldings accurately and safely (from the wider board) on a table saw is much more difficult and definitely unsafe... maybe someone could advise on the best method for this? Definitely unsafe if the 'keeper' piece is between the blade and the fence... it may not be accurately cut if the 'keeper' piece is on the other side to the fence, the edges of the board would have to be truly parallel.... and the fence would have to be moved for each cut. Unfortunately I have never heard of a company specifically offering this service but maybe, hopefully they exist...

Well maybe not ash or oak, the mdf sounds like a good alternative, not only would it be cheaper but Im sure I could get the same effect Im after with it if I use some nice trims around the edge of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hgerman

If you need to research ideas for wainscoting, wal paneling or wood paneling, take a look at this site. It has many useful tools.

• Advertisement
Advertisement