Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent allowance question

Options
  • 23-06-2007 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

i am currently adverising 2 rooms to rent in my 3 Bedroom House.a girl has got in touch enquiring as to whether she could rent the 2 Rooms,the only problem is that i'd have to accept Rent Allowance(950 Euro)
    i am not a registered Landlord,i don't need to as i'm only renting Rooms-not the whole House.
    technically speaking she would be renting a 2 Bedroom House but i would still be living there also.would i be able to accept the Rent Allowance or would i have to be a registered Landlord?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are living on the premises, they seem to be lodgers, not tenants. AFAIK, you don't have to register with the PRTB, but you may have to register with the local council.

You could ask the prospective tenant to get the Community Welfare Officer to supply you with their requirements.

You do need to report the earnings to the Revenue Commissioners under the Rent-a-Room scheme.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ooter- at 950 a month for the 2 rooms, you would be way over the threshold for the rent-a-room scheme. You would have to declare the income in an annual tax return, and the entire sum would be taxable- not just that portion of it that is over the threshold. You would not be able to deduct expenses from the income- as a landlord would, as technically you are not a landlord (unless you totally vacate the premises). Manage your room-renting carefully- all income is counted (including bill shares etc) and once you go over the threshold (a little over 600 a month gross) you get hit for tax on the entire amount.

Advertisement