Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park West to Blanchardstown by public transport

Options
  • 22-06-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm moving to a new apartment in Park West and currently work in Blanchardstown. Any ideas on how I can efficiently make this commute by public transport (Working 8-5 Monday to Friday).

Thanks In Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

As with most orbital journeys, unfortunately this is not a straightforward trip!

Your options are:
    1) 79A bus ex-Parkwest to Ballyfermot Road and 76A to Blanchardstown - this is a very limited option as the 76A is a rare beast, and I suspect that the first 79A (0720) would miss the 0640 76A in Ballyfermot! However, this option could work on the return trip (1730 ex-Blanchardstown).

2) 79A bus to Ellis Quay and 39 or 70 to Blanchardstown, but again this is unlikely to get you there for 8.

3) 151 bus from New Nangor Road to Ormond Quay, then 39/70 from Wood Quay - This is the most frequent option.

Other than that, you could walk from Parkwest to catch the 76A at Ninth Lock Road in Clondalkin or Ballyfermot. It should take the 0640 76A about 20 minutes to get to Clondalkin and 25/30 minutes to Ballyfermot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

76 a from tallaght to blanch has a stupid timetable but its walking distance from parkwest and goes to blanch. Wouldnt put my job at risk by using it but its there.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=76a

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KC61 wrote:
    3) 151 bus from New Nangor Road to Ormond Quay, then 39/70 from Wood Quay - This is the most frequent option.
    Or 151 to Docklands Station and then a train, if it suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That's not an un-reasonable journey at all, yet it looks very difficult by public transport as do many others.

Can I quote this thread next time someone says something along the lines "all cars are bad", "we need more bus-lanes", "we should be using public transsport for every journey"?

Wouldn't it be nice if the authorites came up with journey planner* on the web, along the lines of MS Autoroute, with all transport routes and timestables built in, to help people to help people like the OP. We shouldn't have to rely on asking random strangers for help. There should be a public resource at our disposal.

* I know the published schedules would be un-reliable based on traffic etc but who knows in time they may start factoring realistic route times in based on the knowledege they must have from actual versus planned route times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Hagar wrote:
    Wouldn't it be nice if the authorites came up with journey planner* on the web, along the lines of MS Autoroute, with all transport routes and timestables built in, to help people to help people like the OP. We shouldn't have to rely on asking random strangers for help. There should be a public resource at our disposal.

Someone is bound to pimp the piece of tripe on the DTO website so I'm going to get in first and say that DB are working on one of those but it could be a year or two before it sees the light of day. Goes without saying there'll probably be no mention of Dart or Luas on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

train to heuston then walk to stonybatter/benburb st area and get the 39 bus. When the new station is finished in park west this might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I've said myself before on threads like this, Hagar is right. Another relatively straightforward trip made a 2 hour nightmare with multiple changes once public transport gets involved

OP allow plenty of time.. you'll need to factor in late buses, buses that don't show up, the mystery tour that is the 39 etc. Although, having done the same thing for 4 years (in my case trying to get from Coolock to Blanch and back) you'll get sick of it very quickly believe me.

Realistically, a better idea might be to see if there's anyone in the office that lives near you that you could maybe carpool with? Otherwise I'd be thinking about a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

There's a private bus service that runs from 7am every half hour to town (Terminus is a 2min walk from that Apt complex). Takes about 20 mins to the quays in town. It will drop you anywhere on the quays so close to Stoneybatter seems your best bet. Then you can transfer to DB (according to DB it takes aprox 30 mins to Blanch from SB).

A push to be at work for 8, but shouldn't be too long after. Them seem like tough hours (9hr day, so maybe room for a little lee-way?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The only reliable option (time waise) I can see is to cycle - according to the DTO planner, it's about 10k. I used to cycle from Sandyford road to city centre, which was about 10k and it took me about 35 mins, so maybe the same time as well. But I don't know how safe the roads are on your route. Else get a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

OP, get a moped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Train from cherry orchard/parkwest to hueston. walk to blackhall place and a 39 from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Train from cherry orchard/parkwest to hueston. walk to blackhall place and a 39 from there.

Unfortunately that option will not get the OP there for 8am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

FrCrilly wrote:
    Any ideas on how I can efficiently make this commute by public transport (Working 8-5 Monday to Friday).
    Don't pick my up wrong, I'm not criticizing you as such, but would you not have checked out the commuting possibilities BEFORE you moved to your new appartment. (I expect though that there were other personal reasons in fairness)
    I say this because I know people who moved out to Balbriggan only to find out just how difficult it is to squash onto the train in the morning. I always wonder why irish people don't give more consideration to where they live in respect of commuting. I guess it's because they think they will move job in the near future.

In your case, if they ever build junction 8 of the M50 down onto the Nangor road(unlikely now), it would be a very short drive to blanchardstown!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't pick my up wrong, I'm not criticizing you as such, but would you not have checked out the commuting possibilities BEFORE you moved to your new appartment. (I expect though that there were other personal reasons in fairness)
    I say this because I know people who moved out to Balbriggan only to find out just how difficult it is to squash onto the train in the morning. I always wonder why irish people don't give more consideration to where they live in respect of commuting. I guess it's because they think they will move job in the near future.

In your case, if they ever build junction 8 of the M50 down onto the Nangor road(unlikely now), it would be a very short drive to blanchardstown!
    It's a valid point actually. Not "picking" on the OP in particular, but how many threads do we see here along the lines of "I've just moved to <wherever>, what's my best way to work now?"

I blame the Irish mentality of "MUST own a house/apartment, no matter where it is, or how much it costs", leading to people paying a fortune for a semi-D in the country and then finding themselves in remote housing estates with poor local facilities/shops/schools etc, no (or no viable) public transport options, and 4 hour daily commutes.

Personally before I'd move anywhere, I'd be looking at how long it'd take me to get to work, as well as the other things above but I suppose this is really a larger issue for another topic

Advertisement