Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect....

Options
  • 22-06-2007 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Dont know at all what to expect in TY, going into it in september.

Can anyone give us the lowdown on it? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

we were told not much, just about a few things they hope to do, but they said we are definatly learning to drive and doing crash simulation!cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Expect a doss tbh. But a worthwhile doss as it's been said before.

Expect stuffy like the President's Award, trips out of school, work experience, new/different subjects, a taste of LC courses, very little homework, very little exams, projects, involvement in stuff like the Young Scientist, Young Social Innovators, charity/care work, trips abroad, DATS, making new friends, more clubs or whatever in your school to get involved in (eg MUN, debating or whatever)... and a lot more I'm probably forgetting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

whats DATS?

''Differential Aptitude Tests'' - basically fill-in-the-boxes type assessments on spatial, abstract, clerical speed, spelling, numbers, etc that are meant to show your strengths/weaknesses and predict the type of career you might end up in. They also may help you decide your subjects for 5th year.

I found them to be a bit of a waste of time though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Jello wrote:
    ''Differential Aptitude Tests'' - basically fill-in-the-boxes type assessments on spatial, abstract, clerical speed, spelling, numbers, etc that are meant to show your strengths/weaknesses and predict the type of career you might end up in. They also may help you decide your subjects for 5th year.

I found them to be a bit of a waste of time though tbh.

me too.

when you get 99 perctile in everything except spacial relations which you still get 91 in, it was the biggest waste of time ever.

OP.. do everything you can, competitions, debates, pubic speaking..
    otherwise its a waste

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

me too.

when you get 99 perctile in everything except spacial relations which you still get 91 in, it was the biggest waste of time ever.

OP.. do everything you can, competitions, debates, pubic speaking..
    otherwise its a waste

Ditto I really find it hard to see the point of them. Even though they give you a better idea of what to do in life like Jello pointed out I always thought the individual knew what to do with themselves not a few sheets of paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Are they ever accurate? Because my mom got funeral undertaker :rolleyes: and she's now a Home Ec teacher....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

LOL point proven:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

^ Seconded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

DATs tell you what you're best at. That's what they're useful for. But the actual test is out-dated and a really bad way of giving you an idea of what you're good at. For example I scored marginally higher in maths then I did in the verbal and I know for a fact that I'm much better at verbal.

So do get involved in everything you can, I can't emphasise it more. I did Young Scientist, debates, school play, teaching kids to swim yet I still wish I did more.

Plus, expect brain rot. A lot of brain rot, that me be decreased by getting involved in things. But brain rot none the less.

• Advertisement

DATs tell you what you're best at. That's what they're useful for. But the actual test is out-dated and a really bad way of giving you an idea of what you're good at.

Bit of a contradiction there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Yeah, as I was typing I was giving it a personal assessment. I think they're meant to tell you what you're good at and for spacial, abstract, possibly mechanical and speed and accuracy they so give you a good idea of whether you're good at them or not. For both verbal ones, maths and possibly others that I can't recall they really give no good indication!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

get involved in things if you can ,
    things lyk drama, mini company , debating , n stuff lyk that:rolleyes:

it such dos 4 me really, when i was in 3rd year, i had the same kinda of question, my older m8s told me 4th yr is such a dos, but i said i wont just waste a yr

but the reality is i did waste a yr ( as in we did nuthing in school things lyk english,maths,buiness, them thingsl) but i got more self confidence n more open , so i spoz...thats all i can say really :p

Advertisement