Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Galway

Options
  • 22-06-2007 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi All

Quick question for anyone from Galway. My girlfriend (who is 25 and from Cork) is moving to Galway soon for a year to take up a Postgrad course in NUIG. She will be looking to rent somewhere reasonably close to the college but not too expensive and she is not really interested in going back to the student days of living in kips with 29 other people!

Anyone have any suggestions as to what area would be a good place to look as neither she nor I know Galway really.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I lived in Galway for a few years. There are students everywhere - not really restricted to certain areas. For what it's worth, I'd try and get somewhere in the city centre, down by the Docks there are a few nice complexes I lived in or had friends live in.

Newcastle is a large residential area close to the College but a bit away from town - there will always be properties there. Likewise Salthill, but unless she drives she will be using a bus from there most likely, which to me is missing out on the benefits of Galway's size - you shouldn't have to commute. As for areas to avoid: Don't live in Rahoon.

The Galway Advertiser is still probably the main source of accommodation; but maybe Daft is better for Post-Grads / non-students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Dún Na Coiribe is a good area too. Short walk to shopping centre, cinema etc, and not far at all from town or the college.

www.daft.ie/222795 should be a few rooms going in places like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I'm living in an appartment in Gort Na Coirbe on Headford Road, which is really nice, a bit on the expensive side but worth it. Thats about 15 mins walk from the college. Its not student accom (but its inside an estate that does have student accom too.

I'd also recommend anything near Taylors Hill if you can get it. Some friends of mine live on Maunsalls (spell?) road, again just a walk away from the college.

Advertisement