Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N81 at Jobstown

Options
  • 21-06-2007 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Anyone know what work is going on at the section of the N81 at Jobstown? Hopefully they are going to continue the existing Dual Carraigeway onto the Jobstown Inn at least?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

yellow012 wrote:
    Anyone know what work is going on at the section of the N81 at Jobstown? Hopefully they are going to continue the existing Dual Carraigeway onto the Jobstown Inn at least?

Its an upgrade to the junction for the final phase of the outer ring road. The N81 upgrade is yonks away I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

So is the ring road just going to connect the n81 to the n7? It'll mean a lot more traffic turning right at the end of the dual carriageway

So is the ring road just going to connect the n81 to the n7? It'll mean a lot more traffic turning right at the end of the dual carriageway

Exactly. The already dreadful n81 will have more traffic on it. They need to do something with the many traffic lights on it

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

The're definitely widening that stretch from the Jobstown Inn to the turn off for the Outer ring rd so I am hoping its going to be dual carriageway? If so it would definitely speed up the flow of traffic heading out of town in the evenings?

yellow012 wrote:
    The're definitely widening that stretch from the Jobstown Inn to the turn off for the Outer ring rd so I am hoping its going to be dual carriageway? If so it would definitely speed up the flow of traffic heading out of town in the evenings?

That stretch is about 200m. Not sure if that being dual lane would improve flow whatsoever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Uuuh Patsy wrote:
    That stretch is about 200m. Not sure if that being dual lane would improve flow whatsoever
    Man thats a very negative attitude.
    Actually that section is about half a mile, as it is at the moment the outbound traffic is funnelling from 2 lanes to 1 at the new proposed junction, the single lane N81 traffic then crawls to the Jobstown Inn. Some of the traffic disperses left and right at Jobstown and after that the traffic speed picks up again. How do you reckon upgrading that section won't help? Ive been travelling that road every day for the last 5 years and believe you me it would be a huge benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Also travel this road every day. The current roadworks are for the Outer Ring Road as a previous poster said and it will create mayhem on the N81 when finished. You will have thousands of cars coming off the M50 at Balrothery, to avoid the M50 and Red Cow and using the N81 as a means to get onto the N7 all without doing a thing to improve the N81 itself.

Of course South Dublin Co Co have full planning permission to extend the N81 to Citywest with a dual carriageway but shelved the plans and are waiting for money from the NRA under Transport 21. So it will be another ten years or so before anything is done with the N81. Have a look here

Useless shower of...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Uuuh Patsy wrote:
    Exactly. The already dreadful n81 will have more traffic on it. They need to do something with the many traffic lights on it

The lights are odd, but dumping the traffic from the N7 will cause chaos especially if they dont upgrade the rest of the n81. The Tallaght/m50 roundabout will be the new red cow!

On a side note when is the luas extension planned ot be finished to citywest?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

(a) Works are for ORR Phase 3
    (b) Unfortunately Tallaght BP extension is long fingered but it's part of T21, this means it will happen by 2015 but with no priority being given to it it will prolly be later rather than sooner.
    (c)
    On a side note when is the luas extension planned ot be finished to citywest?
    Railway order this year, starts in 2008. Not sure how long it will take to build, but it goes through open countryside, so maybe only 18-24 months.

spacetweek wrote:
    (a) Works are for ORR Phase 3
    (b) Unfortunately Tallaght BP extension is long fingered but it's part of T21, this means it will happen by 2015 but with no priority being given to it it will prolly be later rather than sooner.
    (c)

Railway order this year, starts in 2008. Not sure how long it will take to build, but it goes through open countryside, so maybe only 18-24 months.

With regards to the Luas: There are signs up along the route saying it will be running by 2008. Can't see why not. Only crosses 2 roads. The rest is open ground. Thats assuming the go ahead is given in time

• Advertisement

yellow012 wrote:
    Man thats a very negative attitude.
    Actually that section is about half a mile, as it is at the moment the outbound traffic is funnelling from 2 lanes to 1 at the new proposed junction, the single lane N81 traffic then crawls to the Jobstown Inn. Some of the traffic disperses left and right at Jobstown and after that the traffic speed picks up again. How do you reckon upgrading that section won't help? Ive been travelling that road every day for the last 5 years and believe you me it would be a huge benefit.

It wont help because they wont be adding a lane. At best you might get an extra turning lane at the ORR junction. So dont hold you breath. Your only hope is that the upgrades to the red cow will be so good that people will avoid the N81, and I wont be holding my breath for that one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Uuuh Patsy wrote:
    With regards to the Luas: There are signs up along the route saying it will be running by 2008. Can't see why not. Only crosses 2 roads. The rest is open ground. Thats assuming the go ahead is given in time
    Yes, when T21 was announced in 2005 Line A1 was listed as being finished by 2008. hence the signs. Must have slipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I believe there is a new road going in from Citywest to the Belgarde road, along the same route as the Luas (Past the Times building). that should make getting in and out of the campus and on to the M50 at Ballymount a lot easier and take a lot of the pressure off the N81.

spacetweek wrote:
    Yes, when T21 was announced in 2005 Line A1 was listed as being finished by 2008. hence the signs. Must have slipped.

Signs only went up the week before last. So I would assume from that, that the current schedule sees Luas running on the line next year

I believe there is a new road going in from Citywest to the Belgarde road, along the same route as the Luas (Past the Times building). that should make getting in and out of the campus and on to the M50 at Ballymount a lot easier and take a lot of the pressure off the N81.

Can't see it. Traffic at the juntion at Belgard Road will be attrocious. You would be mad to go that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Uuuh Patsy wrote:

Its now down to start in 2008 with a finish date of 2010. Wouldn't hold my breath.

Check out this map FF. Some of the proposed roads are there.

Info on the road.

Advertisement