Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Problem

Options
  • 21-06-2007 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Ive been renting a house for the past 8 years and during all that time the two neighbours on either side of me have never spoken to each other due to something they argued about a long time ago.

I use to always fix my car in front of my house and since these are all joint we share the space with one of them.(3 spaces between 2 houses)

About 6 months ago one of the them atacked me about the noise I was making while I dragged a jack accross the driveway. To witch I responded that it never bothered him when I was repairing his car. Needles to say we are not speaking now.

The other neighbour has moved out and is currently selling the house, so the other guy went to his new house and said that the reason he can't sell the house is cause I am always fixing cars.

This is kind of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend", before this they havent spoken in years.

Now the other neighbour attacked my mum and has said we are not allowed to fix cars.

Any help with this would be appriciated. I have fixed both their cars and never charged them, just been a good neighbour and now after years we have this.

Never played music loud, never complained about anything, I was always polte and now all this crap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, just how much car repairing is involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

I wouldn't do heavy stuff outside the house. The most I suppose I would do plugs and maybe oil. But generally I just bolt on a bumber I painted in a garage or pull seats out so I can vaccum.

You would see me out there a lot but I'd be in the car and in my space outside my house.

No engine changes, gearboxes, timing belts etc. I never do it at night and all my stuff is always kept outside my house

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, sorry, for the one car? Not a garage or a modder?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

Well I have 3 cars, and a 2 bikes but they all fit outside in the one space with one car on the road.

I even let them use common the space for 6 years, and never parked there. But when they arrive they first park in the common space and then in their own. It even happens that they leave the space in fron of their house free. I don't really care about that but its getting a bit much.

And no, not a modder or a garage but like I said it was fine when I was fixing their cars, and everyone elses on the road or at least thats my argument.

I just like my cars and like to keep them clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Yeah the reason they can't sell is not due to the current market climate.

It's due to you fixing cars.

Personally if i was viewing a house and saw someone fixing up their car outside i would be kinda glad of it. Nice to have a neighbour who knew their way around a car because i sure as hell don't.

But seriously as long as it's not outside the hours of 8am to 10pm and doesnt cause excess noise and leave a mess around the place i dont see what the problem is.

Personally i would ignore it and politely say that if they think you are not helping them to sell their house you could actually do something to not help.... (Think homer simpson in the episode when his neighbours are trying to sell... ;) )

Appeal to your mother to see reason.

1)It's not causing a disturbance and has never been complained about before now.

2)They are moving and will be gone anyway so why do what they say? Its not as if you have to be on good terms with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well first up the climate is why he cant sell.

Second what a nosy git to go around the guys new house.

Third If i was viewing a property and saw three cars in the house opposite i would smell trouble and not buy , plus the tools outside may lead me to believe there would be other people turning up for outside inspections. My think would be would i have space for my two cars.

So i would say out of courtesy put your tools inside till he sells his house.

But it all depends on how accomodating you want to be after the remaining neighbours behaviour I think I would not do squat.

Advertisement