Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with courses urgently!

Options
  • 20-06-2007 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

the change of mind is 1th july for the CAO can anyone tell me what courses can enable someone for entry to medicine, is it only by a Bsc? or can you get in by bachelors in applied science, agr. science, arts and sci, comp. sci, info sci etc. please could someone please give me a link to a site that would give good info. or if anyone knew the exact entry routes that would be great. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dillonrabbit

Hi, there are 3 ways of getting into medicine in ireland;

1. you can apply through cao for the undergraduate medicine courses in UCC, UCG, Trinity, and UCD as normal the points are very high however usually 580+

2. The RCSI and University of Limerick both offer graduate entry medicine courses, for this you will need a 2:1 honours degree (doesnt matter what area its in, can be a BA or BSC) and you also need to sit the GAMSAT exam. its too late to sit the GAMSAT exam this year, it was held on 24/03/07. There are a a total of 60 places open for graduate entry medicine at the moment, there may be more opening next year. Have a look at the RCSI and UL websites for more specific info, there is also a GAMSAT Ireland website.

3. Finally, you can always apply directly to the Universities as a Mature Student, i dont think there are ever many places in medicine open to Matures however but it may be worth a try.

If you are considering applying for a course now that will help you to get into medicine once you graduate then i would recommend doing a BSC in Chemistry or Biology, many univeristies in the uk have graduate entry medicine courses open to BSc holders with a chemistry or biology background. However the most important thing is to choose a course you are happy with and comfortable with, otherwise you may find it hard to stick at it and get that 2:1! Would you consider applying for nursing? its a BSc course, and would get you invaluable insight and experiance in a clinical enviroment. (Plus its one of the easiest degree courses out there!!!!! I shouldn't say that!!!!)

Anyway, hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

You should also apply to colleges in the UK via the UK version of the CAO (I think its called the UCAS) so if you don't get a place in medicine in Ireland there's also a chance you could get one in the UK.

If you get offered places both in Ireland and the UK, just pick which one you want, accept the offer and decline the other

Advertisement