Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dificulty with maulgar

Options
  • 20-06-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

anyways, yeah. didnt want to ninja that other topic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055106747

mage has 13k hp

tried maulgar this w/e.

Just couldnt get the pull right, dps was not an issue as the priest went down in under 50 seconds. that fúcking stupid fire mage is the bane of our existance, he just kept running at the mage or putting himself beside the tanks.

any advice?

ok so what happened:

attempt 1
    mage to stand in to the right (by the smoke stack)
    mage runs up.
    mage pulls instantly.
    mage gets squished before tanks can get to them.

attempt 2
    mis direct onto mage and MT.
    mage boss runs up to mage, aoe's gg mage.

attempt 3
    mage buff runs out.
    spell steal resisted.
    12k hit.
    dead mage.

attempt 4
    maulgar evades all sunders etc and just runs around one shotting while evading our attacks (think a gm was takin the piss tbh).

attempt 5
    mage buff runs out again
    gg maulgar.

trash respawned and spirits were low so we cleared kara on two groups.

anyone have a brief map of where everyone stands? I've had a look but cant seem to get it right. if the mage pulls getting the warlock/priest/shaman back to the corner is a pain in the face aswell. the damn warlock just stands and casts at the healers.

heres the pic we're going back with this sunday:

1182165053_46_FT14176_maulgar_tactics00.jpg

do you guys get the mage to pull?
    does he pull while getting to the area marked or before?
    and if so, how do you recover the priest/lock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Ok the pull is the most tricky part but we use the king tank to initiate the encounter. your tank mage can plink the mage with a fireblast or whatever

Then have the individual "tanks" pull each of there mobs. We use another mage to pull the priest if a warrior is tanking it and he just taunts it off. One warrior pulls the warlock and we use a hunter to mis direct to the second warrior that is tanking the warlock. Other hunter pulls the shaman. Our positioning on the left side of the map is similar but we have the king tanked roughly where the dark blue dot is on the right side of them picture and we have the mage at the apex of the bend roughly where the candle in the wall is. With the mage in this position there will be no los concerns the mage mob should just run to be in range of the mage. Also just to check i've no idea if the mage mob can be counter spelled or what schools of magic he uses if any other htenfire but if you lock him down on fire or something he may come running like aran would if you locked down all 3 schools. So counter spell would not be ftw.

A communicative voice comms mage should let the healer know his shield is running out also and that me may take a big hit until he can steal again. If you get a resist on pull etc or spellsteal resist thats just unlucky also tbh!

[edit]our positioning would be more as shown in the pic on this guide[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Heres what we do for maulgar.

I have about 9.5-10k HP unbuffed. I can get about 13k hp buffed but i sacrifice some of this for +hit. This is REALLY important for your mage tank. You need about 6% or more as long as he has the 2 points in arcane talents. (really tho, 10k hp is fine for the fight, getting spellsteal resisted is the biggie.)

My old guild used to tank him where indicated in that picture. In my current guild, we tank him to the south west of that (Just to the right of the D).

I pull the entire group with a pyro on the mage and blink into position (quite near the D). Tanks and hunters do their thing with other targets and once the mage gets to me and i have his shield, i move away from the range of the AOE and begin nuking him. I have a dedicated pally healer on me and really once it begins its cake. Just make sure your mage is timing his fire shield so that its cooldown is up before the spellshield fades and hell be ok. There ARE going to be times when he takes a full hit from the mage with no shield, but as long as he has fire ward and your healer is on his game its np.

Good luck tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

thanks for your reply m8.

we'll be using 2 hunters, so misdirect the warlock/tank might be for the best. If i had more i would use em :)

I'm thinking of getting maulgar pulled right down to the bottom to avoid any uneccessary cleave deaths at the start, this will segment king's MT/OT and their 4 healers down there in a safe little corner.

once you "plink" the fire mage with an icelance, will he stand there and cast? as i have read he runs to the mage sometimes.

oh and has anyone else experienced the lock casting from a distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

The positioning from the first picture is the one we use.

We've usually got 3 hunters so we Misdirect Gruul to the MT, Blindeye to the off Tank, and the Summoner to our just-in-case-the-dogs-die tank. Shaman is picked up by a druid or hunter, and Krosh gets spellstealed and fireblasted to grab his initial aggro.

Hardest part for us is the Summoner, as soon as he's down we've never had an unsuccessful attempt on Maulgar himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

cance wrote:
    once you "plink" the fire mage with an icelance, will he stand there and cast? as i have read he runs to the mage sometimes.

Dont plink him, PEWPEW pull him with pyro and blink to your intended tank spot. He will run to AOE range and start zapping you. You have to pull with pyro or fireblast or something nukey or your healers will take aggro.

Hope it went well:_)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Just to throw what we do in here.
    We use a bubbling pally or mage with ice block to initiate the pull.

We then use a hunter to pull maulgar to our "incase dogs die" tank with auto attack or some small aggro thing. Our MT will then aggro him while he is on way to lock tank(hopefully ;) ) and pulls him to the wall by entrance of the cavern,

While the pally(or ib mage) pulls, the mage tank creeps along the right wall and instantly aggro's with an ice lance to gain initial aggro followed by fireball/frostbolt/whatever (should have 2-3secs before healers have to start healing others so safe enough to do this). We generally leave a large area for this mage to tank in incase the mob moves a little.

At pull other hunter pulls the priest to its tanking spot where the tank is waiting for it (which is by the closed gate).

At the pull a rogue using evasion and cloak of shadows generally tanks the warlock till either the warlock tank (after maulgar is aggrod by MT) is avail or till he spawns his first dog (after the pally/ice block mage has initial aggro).

Which just leaves the Shaman to be tanked by the 2 hunters after they done their distracting.

Took a bit of practice to have all parties to do their job at the start but since we downed him first, he's gone done easily each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

hey guys

thanks so much for the feedback, wont be back to maulgar till sunday but i just know with all this info it will be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

Maulgar is by no means a dps check, more of an execution check.(Bit of an opposite to Gruul who is pure dps pretty much).

Check www.bosskillers.com for the best (imo) tactics and get your most reliable people doing the important things. If your mage is screwing up time and time again then get an officer to get stern with him or get a different one to do the pull.

Advertisement