Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC Groups 07/08

Options
  • 20-06-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

The full draw is as follows:

Pool 1
    Benetton Treviso, London Irish, USA Perpignan, Newport Gwent Dragons

Pool 2
    Ospreys, Gloucester Rugby, Bourgoin, Ulster Rugby

Pool 3
    Stade Francais Paris, Bristol Rugby, Cardiff Blues, Harlequins

Pool 4
    Glasgow Warriors, Saracens, Biarritz Olympique, Viadana

Pool 5
    LONDON WASPS, Clermont Auvernge, Llanelli Scarlets, Munster

Pool 6
    Leinster, Leicester Tigers, Toulouse, Edinburgh Rugby

Six tough groups there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Farcical that Benetton Treviso would be seeded. And Glasgow?? Hello?
    Only one French Team Seeded?
    They need to look at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Very tough group for Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Munster and Leinster will find it very hard to make the q-finals.

This is the ultimate test for Cheika and Knox - i personally dont rate them and have said it a few times on this site.

Now with all Leinsters new forwards,this is their best sqaud they have had to achieve something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Sundy wrote:
    Pool 5
    LONDON WASPS, Clermont Auvernge, Llanelli Scarlets, Munster

Pool 6
    Leinster, Leicester Tigers, Toulouse, Edinburgh Rugby
    QUOTE]

That is just sick!!

At least there will be some immense games to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

3 quarter finalists from last year in pool 5, two of which reaches the semis with wasps going on to win it! That is goin to be really tough for Munster.

Leinster have a tough group too, everybody knows what the tigers are capable of, that could easily end up 0/2 for leinster. Your right about toulouse not the power of old but they can still put in some good performances, hopefully they will focus on team rebuilding and the top14 next season, we could get 2 from 2 there. 2/2 required from the Edinburgh games as well. Some nice away trips there too for leinster fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Munster and Leinster both drawn in groups of death.

In contrast pools 1, 3 and 4 are very weak.

ERC really have to look at how they draw these groups and the seedings as it's producing some very lopsided draws. This year being the worst. You could argue that 6 of the top 8 sides in Europe are all drawn together in pools 5 and 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

thats a killer group for both Munster & Leinster !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

On the bright side for leinster, I suppose Toulouse are kind of rebuilding. We have a few former Leicester players who might know the inside track and Edinburgh are Scottish.

Pool 1 is a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

No bother to the Lady Boys.

Oh ye of little faith!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Grim for Munster, but we have few players starting to come through, hopefully they'll step up while the main guys are at the RWC.

Don't think Leinster will make it, tight 5 will be eaten by Leicester, and Contepomi, D'Arcy and BO'D will come back from the RWC wrecked as every team will beat the crap out of them (or at least try to).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Looks like London could be the only Irish team making it though! I quite fancy the Ospreys to be a dark horse this year. Maybe not to win but semis or even finalists. They were V unlucky not to make it through last year and there is quality there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Looks like we won't be putting another star on our jersey next year either... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

The group stages will overtake the knockout stages as the most exciting part of the competition as a result of this draw. It does seem strangely lobsided to have so much good teams in pools 5 and 6.

Munsters group is impossible to pick a winner at this stage, or even a clear favourite. Any of 3 teams could conceivably win it, I'm not sure how good Clermont are, they could possibly be in with a shout too.

Leinster don't have a prayer against Leicester i'm afraid. They could well finish 2nd in this group, but they'll have to win 4 games, plus 3 or 4 bonus points to be in with a chance of a best runner-up spot, even that mighn't be good enough if they did manage to pull it off.

Ulster really have to step up to the plate, they'll never have a better opportunity. Definitely the most likely Irish team to make the QF's based on the draw.

Some crackers to look forward too anyway if our World Cup dream goes titsup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Contepomi, D'Arcy and BO'D will come back from the RWC wrecked as every team will beat the crap out of them
    ..thats right, as no other club in the tournament will have players at the world cup, only Leinster! If only Welsh, Scotish, English and French clubs had international players too :D

Ulster have an easy group, and will hope to win it [with ease tbh!] Both Ospreys and Gloucester have the odd good day, but Ulster should have the beating of them tbh

For Munster Wasps and Scarlets are very beatable. Scarlets had a great year this year, but you have to wonder if they can keep it going [Having lost a few blokes, and having a large number of welsh players]

It will be tough for Leinster, and there are some great games to look forward to there. I think they can beat Toulouse [as Ulster did at home this season] and if we avoid any bannana skins in Scotland [they have Stephen larkham next season remember] its a question of if Leinster can get a result in one of the two games against Leicester [that said, they do seem to have lost a bunch of players - regardless they are always world class].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Well to be honest i think he has a point with BOD. I really doubt he will return from the world cup in full health, he rarely makes it through the 5 games of the 6N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

If you actually watch what International teams do to BOD and D'Arcy you'd fear for their health too. it's not Munster bias, those players are simply worldclass and Ireland can't function without them, Arg, Fra, and (prob) NZ will beat the crap out of them, it doesn't thrill me, but it will happen.

Advertisement