Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely irritable and insomnia???

Options
  • 20-06-2007 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

hey all,

quit smoking two weeks ago, and since then, I simply can't sleep at night (like, I'm really tired, but my brain just "won't shut up"), I wake up every hour, and sleep a maximum of 3 hours a night. Not fun.

On top of that, I am extremely cranky and aggressive (even without wanting to be), and blow up at the slightest problem (usually really minor issues) - usually I'm a fairly balanced person, and at the moment, I don't really have a reason to be cranky....

Will this ever go away?

Apart from that, I am going great, I don't miss the fags, I don't want them, and I don't need them - even in my cranky phases, I don't think "ah, a cigarette would make me feel better" - I know it wouldn't...). But the nasty mood swings and the sleeplessness is affecting me and everyone around me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

Don't worry - you're still in the detox stage. I was like a walking bi*ch for a couple of weeks after giving up but that does pass. In another couple of weeks all those symptoms will disappear.
    Stick with it - it will be sooo worth it in the end. Good luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I'm there dude, quit 2 days ago and I think I should be locked up for a week or 2.
    I've tried quitting before and this lasted for about 4-5 days, it does go away.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

when I stopped, I go the insomnia thing for about 4 or 5 weeks, then it passed. Although, then I got about 2 weeks of really messed up dreams as well.. After that I was all clear and happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I was the same for the first couple of weeks - not so much irritable, but my sleeping patterns were all over the place. I found a long soak in warm bath before bedtime really helped me crash out for longer. It'll pass soon enough, don't worry. Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Hey Galah,
    You're through the worst of it I promise. Keep plugging away it will get noticeably easier really soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Thanks for all your kind words and support!

I'm still off them, but still really, really grumpy and cranky, and even more impatient than usual...I truly hopw this will go away soon, or I'll have no friends and will sit on my own in a corner of the office ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

My impatience is easing off slightly but still I think I'm worse than I was. Maybe try walking away when you get agitated, it's probably what you used to do except you used to walk away to have a smoke. Remember the smoke doesn't make you less edgy it has no good effects at all just makes you smell.
    Try the 2 minute walk and see what happens, or maybe deep deep breaths.

Must say I'm feeling much better after 7 days, the cravings are getting less and less. Smell is coming back too. Get back to me if you need more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Hi,

I am off the fags now for over 15 years. I found the first 6 weeks to be a bitch, but it was worth it. The worst part was the coughing up all the gunk and it felt like I had a 'cold' for that time. Another problem was what to do with my hands now that I no longer had a cig in my hand. Like all addictions, it's always there in the background, but you learn to live with it.

Good luck to anyone giving up cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'm off the fags now almost 16 months. The first couple of months I was pretty irritable. It passes though - keep it up.

Advertisement