Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Trouble

Options
  • 20-06-2007 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Not a very nice topic - but in the house I am renting in, in one of the loos there is a horrendus smell coming from the toilet. The toilet itself has been cleaned - it seems to be coming from the pipes or something.

The smell has been there now for a few months and I can hardly bare it any more - I use our onsuite (thank god) so rarely go in there. We have to keep the window open at all times as if we close it, the smell will eventually seep out the room.

The toilet doesnt seem to be blocked i.e there is no backlog (hehe sorry).

Anyways, does anyone know of anything I can use or any suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭japjap

It could be the waste pipe is not vented. Where the pipe leaves the house and goes down into the ground there should be another pipe going to the top of the house, this is the vent (a bit like a chimney).

I could be worng.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭johny28

dellas1979 wrote:
    Not a very nice topic - but in the house I am renting in, in one of the loos there is a horrendus smell coming from the toilet. The toilet itself has been cleaned - it seems to be coming from the pipes or something.

The smell has been there now for a few months and I can hardly bare it any more - I use our onsuite (thank god) so rarely go in there. We have to keep the window open at all times as if we close it, the smell will eventually seep out the room.

The toilet doesnt seem to be blocked i.e there is no backlog (hehe sorry).

Anyways, does anyone know of anything I can use or any suggestions???

Is the landlord/landlady not suppose to look after these things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hmmm interesting.

We live in a housing estate, if that makes things any clearer i.e we dont have our own septic tank - I guess its a communal one? (oh crikey!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

japjap wrote:
    It could be the waste pipe is not vented. Where the pipe leaves the house and goes down into the ground there should be another pipe going to the top of the house, this is the vent (a bit like a chimney).

I could be worng.

This was my first reaction too.
    Go outside and see if there is a birds nest or something blocking it.

If this doesn't work, ring the landlord as you should have done months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

hi, guys,
    well to talk about vented waste pipe, i m buying house and there i been there couple of time i also notice there is no vent for waste pipe, i just don't understand why is that? or should i ask about it to estate agent as i m going there today for second snag???? any idea suggestion would be very helpful.

japjap wrote:

I could be worng.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Is there anything I could use to clean the pipes, see if this would work?

dellas, i would say that you need to check waste pipe seal i think you need to reseal it if this it is the case with waste pipe vent problem.

dellas1979 wrote:

dellas, i would say that you need to check waste pipe seal i think you need to reseal it if this it is the case with waste pipe vent problem.

dellas1979 wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Ring your landlord and he should send a plumber out to have a look.

Wont cost you a penny.

Kind Regards

Fintan

Advertisement