Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingerprinting on return to IE

Options
  • 20-06-2007 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I was over in the US last February. Before we boarded the Continental flight home in EWR, we were told we needed to go and have our fingerprints taken at some machine a few gates down.

When did this come into effect?

I've been over and back to the US for the last few years, my second last time being in June '06 and we didn't have to do anything with our fingerprints. Is this just to make matching up who has come back and who hasn't more easier?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I heard of the fingerprinting if you were leaving from, for example Dublin but not on the way back. Are you talking about one of those exit machines where you scan your passport and index fingers before boarding in the US (for home) or something?

7566190_5c693b6b25_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭teresasaunt

Yeah, we did the scan our passports and had a photo taken too but also had out fingerprints taken again. I thought it was weird.

My Granny went over to New York last month and managed to get out of Shannon without going through immigration. It caused some drama when she was returning home!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah, we did the scan our passports and had a photo taken too but also had out fingerprints taken again. I thought it was weird.

My Granny went over to New York last month and managed to get out of Shannon without going through immigration. It caused some drama when she was returning home!

Yep they do the old picture, finger print and passport scan when you are entering and then when you are leaving they scan fingers, passport and take pic as verification that you are actually leaving.
    I just wonder are they doing it when you enter the country from Canada?
    I know the Canadians kicked up stink about having proper passport controls when entering US, since US assumed they could just wander around Canada.

Can you imagine if someone hacked into that immigration database :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

When i was coming back home at the end of May this year i didnt have any scans,phots or aything else done.Just the normal check of the passport and i had to leave my 90holiday visa behind to prove that i had left the country.thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I had the same last time I was at Newark ( that was March I think )

My opinion , and maybe this isn't the place ( I like the Aviation board because its just chat about man made things that fly )

If the US wants to take our finger-prints ... fine , but we should insist on doing the same back. My wife now refuses to go to the US on holidays because as she says ' so what do they do with those fingerprints, how long do they keep them for etc '
    Now I don't really see the point in worrying about that , unless you have a record of course :-)

Anyway , what has this got to do with aviation , perhaps this thread should be moved to Travel or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It seems to have an interest base here, so I'm leaving it for now.

It is related to aviation (travel) and so on topic, by definition at least.

This topic is of interest to this forum because the tightening of immigration rules has a major bearing on anyone going to the US to learn how to fly.

The rules now in place mean you have to have a VISA, you have to be registered as being at a flight school and where you are staying.
    All of this adds delay and red tape. Also would not fancy having to go through process of changing flight school if your original choice turned out to be a problem.
    Also In know of one prominent flight school that has been mentioned on this forum that was at one stage telling it's stduents that you did not need visas. Very dangerous if caught because you would get turfed out of country after having a chat with FBI and immigration.

That is why now more people are going to Canada, where you have a lovely country with nicer people and not half the cra** or going to South Africa.

I am just wondering if they don't do the old photo and finger scans when you are leaving if you get any more hassel next time you enter.
    Also I am still wondering if you turn up at border with Canada if you get the same treatment?

Agree with poster about why should we bend over backwards for them and woe betide us if we installed the same rules for their entry to Europe.
    But I know people will say it is their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Ok I stand corrected :-)

I didn't think of the flying school angle of things .

jmayo...... I imagine anyone paying particular interest in only flying and not the landing / take offs now get very stright looks also.

Davidth88 wrote:
    Ok I stand corrected :-)

I didn't think of the flying school angle of things .

jmayo...... I imagine anyone paying particular interest in only flying and not the landing / take offs now get very stright looks also.

AFAIK the 911 guys raised suspicions the first time around and the authorities were informed but nothing happened.

Most flight schools offering flight sims would reckon would be airline pilots would want to get most time actually doing landings and takeoffs, the hardest bits. It was a bit strange even back then.
    Also would depend on flight school, some just want money and don't care about bending rules or strange things.

Advertisement