Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romainian scammers now phoning!

Options
  • 19-06-2007 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

I have something for sale (Not cheap) at the moment online. Got a call from a Romainian number today. Thought at first it was a UK number when I saw the 4, so answered it.

"Hello, I am XX, calling from Romainia, I see you have XX for sale on XX"

Straight away I just said "It's sold" and hung up. I knew straight away it was a scam, fo ra few reasons

1) Similar item i'm selling could be gotten much closer to Romainia
    2) Delivery for this item (Weighs over 2 tonne) would be pretty damn expensive to Romainia
    3) Spotted the Romainian scam's on Carzone lately that people have been reporting on boards.ie

What's the story here, are they just abit behind the Nigerian's, but think they can still pull off a scam? Have to hand it to them, pretty cheeky actually phoning me rather than email

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm impressed they told you that they were in Romania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You shoulda kept him on for hours and run up his phone bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

they use skype etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I heard rumours that there was even 1 scammer in Ireland. It could just be an urban legend.

Let me give the bandwagon a nudge: Racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Karoma wrote:

God no. All scammers should be given a dose of Auschwitz's finest Shower cubicles' contents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Karoma wrote:
    I heard rumours that there was even 1 scammer in Ireland. It could just be an urban legend.

Lies!...and if there is...he must be a ford'ner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Karoma wrote:

Yeah but this is about a Romanian scammer. Go start an Irish scammer thread if you wanna balance things:rolleyes:

Karoma wrote:

Damnit. I wanted to wear the "Racist!?!?!" hat.

Uhm, how in the name of God did you know they were Romanian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sure them Romanians are lovely folk, they'd give you the shirt off their back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

look at phone number....if its starts with 40, they're in Romania...Hardly Sherlock Holmes material!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Because he said in a Romanian accent 'I'm phoning from Romania'

Oh, and the number was +40 22277509

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Allow me:

Weighs 2 tonnes eh? What you selling....yore ma?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Slurms wrote:
    Allow me:

Weighs 2 tonnes eh? What you selling....yore ma?

Nope.... YORE MA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

JohnCleary wrote:
    Nope.... YORE MA
    We have clashed and I have been bested.
    Kudos sir, kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

meh...

The Romanians are actually miles ahead of the West Africans when it comes to scamming.

All that ebay/bank phishing that you hear about?

Romanians (not always Romas strangely, those of the flower selling, mass begging and door to door handouts).

I am well aware of how to differentiate between a Roma gypsy and a Romanian national btw, when it comes to scams of this type, generally it's the latter, the sweetheart scam (as in how to find love and marriage in three or less emails) are generally Russian, and the oft parodied hamfisted ebay bidding/advance fee fraud is mostly Nigerian (regardless of the country of origin).

Now where did I put my asbestos undergarments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

Romanian does not equal Roma Gypsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I thought I went to some length to point that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

xha1r wrote:
    Romanian does not equal Roma Gypsy.
    Nice one. That has nothing to do with the thread thought surely. Unless you are speculating that just because the dude was calling from Romania that he must be a Roma Gypo. Shame on you.

JohnCleary wrote:
    Got a call from a Romainian number today
    Is Romainia anywhere near Romania? Can you prove to us that this call actually existed and is not just the usual racist urban legend type of story. Maybe a picture of your received calls on your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Well I have a similar story. I recently got a job and I was working my first day today. This Romainian lady wandered in. Thought at first she was just coming in to do her shopping.

"Hello, I want to buy cat food, I'm from Romainia, I see you have cat food for sale on XX"

Straight away I called security and had her thrown out and called the Gardaí. I knew straight away it was a scam, fo ra few reasons

2) Who buys cat food?
    3) I can't remember the third reason.

What's the story here, are they just abit behind the Nigerian's, but think they can still pull off a scam? Have to hand it to them, pretty cheeky actually talking to me in person me rather than phoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I hope you washed your eyes afterwards too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Actually I had something similar, but this time via email.

I had a motorbike for sale on 'buyandsell.ie' and got a few emails along the same lines.

They wanted me to ship the bike to Romania!. I reported the matter to the buyandsell.ie people for their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Binomate wrote:
    2) Who buys cat food?
    3) I can't remember the third reason.

brilliant bino ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A bloke called Claudius rang me and told me he was a roman but i got suspicious and hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Degsy wrote:
    A bloke called Claudius rang me and told me he was a roman but i got suspicious and hung up.

Et tu Degsy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Did anybody see the 6 o clock news?

A rake of Romanians living on the Ballymun ROUNDABOUT ! Complaining that the authorities were ignoring their pleas etc and were looking for publicity !

Where to even start with this :eek:

Maybe a few weeks living on the roundabout in the 'munner will teach them Ireland aint a soft touch after all, obviously they were expecting the red carpet when they arrived and when they heard they had to work they got jumpy and decided to protest, sure what else would ye do lads :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

I'm working in the car industry and am aware of two scams on the go at the moment for you all to be aware of:

1. People selling a used car are contacted by someone claiming to have a buyer lined up for them in the UK. They will put them in contact for €80. Credit card details taken, alas no buyer exists.

2. Romanian rings someone selling a used car, claims he wants to buy it but you have to pay all the costs associated with shipping it to Romania (often more than the car is worth)

Be vigilant and verify all callers are who they say they are before handing over details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

God help anyone living in Romania trying to order anything online. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

I have pulled a few scams myself recently, Went in to a good restaurant, paid for the meal, then sneaked out without eating it. Bought a return Train ticket, but didnt come back ! Clever or What ??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

NotMe wrote:
    God help anyone living in Romania trying to order anything online. :p

It's not too bad ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

LiamD wrote:

2. Romanian rings someone selling a used car, claims he wants to buy it but you have to pay all the costs associated with shipping it to Romania (often more than the car is worth)

If someone is stupid enough to fall for this they deserve to be cleaned out, and I for one would have no sympathy.

Advertisement