Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's this phrase from?

Options
  • 18-06-2007 5:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just trying to figure out where this saying comes from, as I heard it in a couple of places within short succession and was intrigued about its origin.

The saying is "apres moi le déluge" (not sure if the spelling is right there) and from what I gather it means "after me comes the flood/deluge".
    I heard it first in a Regina Spektor song (called Apres Moi) but then heard it again in an old Only Fools and Horses episode (one of the common sayings that Del Boy uses in the wrong context etc.).

After a bit of googling, it seems to be an oft-spoken phrase, but I'm trying to find out where it comes from, where it was used first and what context it's meant to be used in.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

Advertisement