Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unpaid parking fines,what do they do now?

Options
  • 18-06-2007 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

ive unpaid parking fines going back to nov 2006 - march 2007 about 8 in all,they were all for parking outside my house which i was renting,when i first moved in i was told by the parking fines office that any fines received would be rescinded once it was proved i lived in the location.

but when i went back after xmas they told me that it doesnt matter if i was a resident or not i would have to pay them,similarly i they told me originally if i had a landlords letter saying i lived there i would be eligible but when i got it they told me it was useless that i needed a letter from the tenants board or something?i had everything else they asked me for(i changed ownership address of car to that location,utilities bills i couldnt get in my own name).

so what are they going to do to me now? i went ot consumers advice centre they told me write a letter to them but i dont know what thats going to do?

a complicating factor is i changed car after xmas as the old one died?so ive sets of fines for two different cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Failure to pay will eventually result in a court summons.

Nobody here is going to give you any legal advice, but we may be able to help in other ways. I'm going to move this to Accomodation / Property where you may get more knowledgeable people.

First off, is this public parking on a public street - i.e. is it the local county council that operates the paid parking spaces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

its on street parking,need a permit or a parking disc (cork city council is the local authority)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine they offered to waive any tickets in the time it took to get your permit, assuming you did so promptly.

http://www.corkcity.ie/ourservices/roads/traffic_resident_permits.shtml#faq3

In particular
    If you live in rented accommodation you must submit a copy of your Rent Book/Rental Agreement and a copy of your confirmation letter from the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) acknowledging the registration of the tenancy with the PRTB.
    You should receive a letter from the PRTB when you are registered. Did your landlord give you a PRTB form to complete?

http://www.corkcity.ie/ourservices/roads/traffic_faq.shtml#faq7
    How do I appeal a parking fine?

All appeals have to be in written form and must be received within 14 days of the issue date of the Fixed Charge Penalty Notice. They must contain name and address, ticket number, vehicle registration number and grounds for appeal. This is to be submitted to the Appeals Officer, Parking Services Section, 1-2 Anglesea Street, Cork. A written response is then issued granting or denying the appeal.

This far on, I can't see you having any success.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Having checked out the forms on Cork City Council's website, it would appear that you won't really have an option but to pay the fines that have already been issued.
    http://www.corkcity.ie/ourservices/roads/traffic_resident_permits.shtml

If you have supplied all of the other information, then they should have supplied you with a four-month temporary permit. What you need is a letter from the PRTB (http://www.prtb.ie/) proving that you are registered with them at that address. Then you'll get a full permit.

Having read the document on the first link I gave you that states the requirements to get a resident's permit, I sympathise. The requirements seem unnecessarily draconian, particularly if you are only renting short-term. Many of the items on the list would take weeks to sort out (changing the address on your VLC for example), in which time you'd rack up tonnes of fines, or just spend hundreds on parking.

But I don't think you have any real comeback on the fines. Get your full permit and then write an appealing letter to whoever's in charge. Include as much documentation as you can that shows you've been living there all that time - bills, rent receipts, etc.

my landlord gave us the prtb document,however she didnt take this from us until after xmas,i was told by the parking fines office all i needed was a landlords letter saying i was resident at the address which i got and presented.i am no longer at the address, i left in april as i could not take anymore fines,im unemployed now(i am a student) and the prospect of a 600 euro fine already means i couldnt stay in the city any longer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You have over 30 parking tickets from that 600 euro figure you quoted. If it went to court you probably get fined maybe 50 euro on 2 offences and have the rest dealt with under the probation act.

Have you written to the council about it as they will not want to have to draw up 30 separate summones against you. I would make them a cash offer on condition it was in full and final settlement of all the tickets and that legal proceedings would be stayed.

cork city parking fines are 40 euro going up to 80 euro after something like 4 weeks, 8x80: 640 euro!,i'll write a letter to them but man am i in trouble....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Best to make a settlement offer let them know you don't have the funds to pay the full amount, otherwise let it go to court.

Advertisement