Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Quarter travel dilemma

Options
  • 18-06-2007 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I've booked travel for the Paris group matches, working out fairly reasonable. Coming back to Dublin on Monday 1/10

I also have tickets for the quarters and semis (should we get that far)

So I'm thinking now, what to do about getting to the other games. Do I book the travel now, while it is relatively cheap, (and coover all the bases) or hold tight till after group stages, and pay more, with less time options.

My honest opinion is that we've a 50-50 chance of topping the group - so I'd need to cover travel to both Cardiff and Paris. Currently they're about €150 each, but MrsB would be going so thats €600. But if I wait chances are that travel to Paris would be more, though Cardiff would be easier/cheaper

Likewise with the semis, spend €300 now to assure reasonable flights, on the chance of making it. If Ireland don't make it I have match ticket refunds, but no flight refunds obviously!

Thoughts opinions, how are others handling this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

You could always goto the games in anycase. If Ireland dont make it could be a NZ v France match which could be quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

You could always goto the games in anycase. If Ireland dont make it could be a NZ v France match which could be quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

damnyanks wrote:

Nope, the match tickets are tied to Ireland getting that far. If they don't, the tickets are automatically cancelled and refunded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:

Nice idea, but Eurostar tickets are currently €200 a skull, and not likely to get cheaper, so not as flexible as I'd like! ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Eurostar is like any airline - the fewer seats the more expensive they get..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I'd reckon that if that scenario occurs where we play in Paris and France in Cardiff you could easily swap tickets with the frechies cause they won't want to miss a game.

I have the same ticket package and will be going to the group games in a series of long weekends. I have saved a *fortune* in the flights by not flying to Bordeaux / paris - but flying to other cities and using the france rail network [good old TGV!].

eg: Flights to Paris from Dublin for the French and Argentina game are savage expensive, and the Eurostar is not cheap there or back. But Im flying to Nantes for 1p, and will get a train for a couple of hours into the city [not a gigantic amount longer than Ryanairs bus from their paris airport I would think!!]

But I have no idea what Im going to do for the 1/4 final tbh?

I think Im going to book nothing and have my sister on hand [at home] after the argentina game [as I will be on the beer in paris!] and get her to book something at the last minute tbh and just suck up getting ripped off a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

daveirl wrote:
    Good luck booking in Cardiff, there is nothing, repeat,nothing left there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

CJhaughey wrote:

Affirmative, we had trouble booking 2 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

you could try booking in caerphilly for cardiff - we stayed there for the six nations game this year - nice enough spot and there's a travelodge (or two) there and it's cheap enough getting taxis there and back.

daveirl wrote:

Can't see Mrs B agreeing to that! :D Hopefully I won't be going to Cardiff (Paris ftw), but there's plent of places to stay in Bristol etc

I have a frear tat the back of my head that we will make Paris for the 1/4 and travel will be impossible. Cardiff is easy to get to in comparison

Just did a search on yahoo travel and there was several pages of hotel rooms for the night..

They get expensive quite quickly - but rooms there are :)

Advertisement