Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE.ie's georestrictions

Options
  • 17-06-2007 7:21pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭

RTE.ie is now claiming that some of its georestrictions are "island of Ireland only". How do they determine a UK IP address is in NI, reliably? Have they got some incredibly good network engineers who are able to divine the impossible... or are they bull****ting to cover contracts and it really allows the entire UK :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm guessing, but wouldn't there be a certain IP range that would be unique to places in NI, just like there are IP ranges unique to Dublin, Cork etc.?

Don't know much about IP addresses and restriction of such, but it doesn't make sense to me that the same range is used in London as is in Belfast etc.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Wasn't that an issue when NTL operated in Dublin? NTL users were able to access restricted BBC streams because they had UK IP addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes. In this case if similar conditions apply, BT users may be OK and NTL users in Belfast cable locked out :)

I must find out my various relatives IPs with NTL and other N.I. ISPs and see what the geo database turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's unnecessary nonsense in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

It's not unnecessary nonsense, it's restrictions placed on RTE by the people
    who own the rights to sporting events. Setanta Sports, for example, would not
    be very happy to find out that the expensive broadcast rights they bought to
    air GAA matches in the US and UK were rendered useless by rte.ie streaming
    everything for free on the internet to the whole world.

As for the accuracy of IP's and locations, rte.ie pay a subscription to a service
    provider who provide accurate IP to location information... and it's not Maxmind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement