Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke Watson and the South African 'Quota' system

Options
  • 15-06-2007 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭

What's the craic with this guy, i mean apparently the sa union consider him 'black' and want him picked(despite Jake White's misgivings over his size along with many more 'black' players who suit the bill of being appart of the 'quota' system.

Why don't sa not have quotas for underage and Currie Cup level and let the system take its course. We all know that rugby is a mainly white sport in sa but eventually this will not be the case. Why screw with a class sa outfit which includes guys who are capable to wear the jersey at that level?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Wikipedia

Watson_attacks_Jake_White

I personally feel for the guy, besides everything else being told hes too small for flanker is a total joke. I dont think the professional game is going in the right direction if thats the attitude of national coaches. The focus on physical size is worrying. The physiques of flankers/centres are becomming ever more interchangeable. Id rather like to see more skill and less battering-ram tactics in the backs.

Ive been told the same by coaches the last few years, pushed out to centre/wing when flankers definately my natural position. Perceived accectable physical standards have spilled onto the amateur game in this country. Coaches initially look at your size and assign you a position accordingly, largely ignoring your skills. It does players no good at that level, being labelled a certain position throughout their careers and not given the chance to diversify. At amateur level, forwards should be given regular opportunity to develop pace and handling, backs should be given meaningful practice on rucking and mauling.

I guess Im lucky in this regard as ive played competatively in every position bar prop, scrummy and out half - I remember being put at no.7 in a J3 match and was 1st to most rucks - total joke, and I won more than the fair share of penalties as a winger through the years just cos I knew how to ruck while also contesting legally for the ball :D Id worry that chances of gaining this type of all-round experience are decreasing if we continue to favour physicality over developing natural instinctive skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

themont85 wrote:
    What's the craic with this guy, i mean apparently the sa union consider him 'black' and want him picked(despite Jake White's misgivings over his size along with many more 'black' players who suit the bill of being appart of the 'quota' system.

Why don't sa not have quotas for underage and Currie Cup level and let the system take its course. We all know that rugby is a mainly white sport in sa but eventually this will not be the case. Why screw with a class sa outfit which includes guys who are capable to wear the jersey at that level?

I believe his dad was a former Springbok and anti-apartheid campaigner and for some reason his son is considered "black" due to his father's close links to the ANC.

In 2008 the SA rugby union are apparently cracking down on the quota system which demands a certain amount of blacks are in the national squad.

Personally I think it's complete madness. While I'm all for racial diversity it shouldn't be forced upon the national team. More and more black South Africans are involved in rugby and given time they will force their way into the national team through right rather than through some artificial quota system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

There was a suggestion in SA that his dads anti- apartheid stance was been held against him. But it is still amazing that the President of the Union can impose a selection on the appointed selectors. If anything can hold the yappies back this year it may be the tendancy to internally self-destruct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I'm fairly sure he doesn't count for the quota, as he is white, but his selection has been foisted on Jake White by Politicos.

ST was speculating yesterday that in 2008 the quota will be 10 black players in the Springbok "side". Which frankly could be catastrophic for the Boks competitiveness.

Advertisement