Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region Settings- help!

Options
  • 15-06-2007 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

A while back i watched some american films on my laptop and thigns jsut seme to work as normal, but all of a sudden it was telling me that i could not longer change the region on my laptop....apparently iw as given 5 changes???

anywya my question is, is there a setting and(or) program i can get to undo the region count or is it a matter of reinstalling the software itself and then the counter will be put back?

any info would be much appreciated thanks kindly

crowquill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The number of changes/region is firmware-based. Re-installing "the software" will not change it. Your options:
    1) Try to find a firmware for your optical drive. Pro: It'll work, and is permanent,etc. Con: Could potentially screw things up... unlikely, but just make sure it's the right firmware & the laptop is plugged in+on battery.
    2) Get software like http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm This just sits in the background, and allows you to play any region/encryption.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

This may break your dvd/cd drive so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is a software issue, not a laptop one.
    Are you using PowerDVD or what program to watch DVDs?
    DVD Region+CSS Free enables you to watch and copy any region-coded/CSS-encrypted DVD movies on any DVD drive! It fully supports region-protected (RPC2) DVD drives, and does not require any firmware modifications. It will even work if you have used up your region counter and can no longer change the DVD drive's region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 crowquill

im using " inter video windvd"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try VLC Media Player for your DVDs.

• Advertisement

how will that software differ form the one i already have?..wil it end up being jsut a case of having another 5 attemps?...sorry im sure that soudned narky its not supposed to to haha im jsut relaly frustrated i cant watch any films now

It normally ignores the region settings altogether so should play them regardless of the region count.

wow thats exactly whati need..so do i have to pay or can i get it for free off the net?

It is free, link here. Hope it works out.

ok sorry to aks agian i dont udnerstand the whole mirror system as ive never really downlaoded software form the ent...could someone explian it to me?

• Advertisement

It is just where the files are located in different areas around the world. Direct link to download, save file to your desktop and then run the setup file.

thanks man thats the bizz and its working smooth cheers for the link and all the help :):)

Advertisement