Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eh?Limited or no connectivity?Can someone help?

Options
  • 15-06-2007 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

OK so I finally got my laptop today....but for some strange reason I can't connect to the internet using my computer's wireless connection.The computer just tells me theres ''limited or no connectivity'', and when ever I try to repair it, it spends 5 minutes trying to renew the IP address....and than it cancels the action and says to contact my ISP.Now I know its not a problem with the computer, cause the internet on it is working fine, and its not a problem with the signal strength (laptop says its excellent) so what could it be?The laptop has been connected to wireless networks previously with no problems, so whats causing the problem now?Could someone please help me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

did you get it today or has it connected to networks before?

assuming it has worked before
    make sure youve got the password correct.
    if your comfortable, disable the router security and see if you can connect then

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Now I know its not a problem with the computer, cause the internet on it is working fine

Could you explain this? On what computer is the internet working fine? Is it another computer?

TBH, sounds like a configuration problem. Check your WEP key.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

subway wrote:
    did you get it today or has it connected to networks before?

assuming it has worked before
    make sure youve got the password correct.
    if your comfortable, disable the router security and see if you can connect then
    Well it was someone elses and yes it has connected to wireless networks before.By modem security do you mean any firewalls?If so then yes, they've all been disabled.
    tom dunne wrote:
    Could you explain this? On what computer is the internet working fine? Is it another computer?
    TBH, sounds like a configuration problem. Check your WEP key.
    Well my modem is connected to my main computer, but it also acts as a wireless modem (its one of those neotopia ones from Eircom).But the internet is working fine on the main computer (which is what i'm using to type this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

no, i mean wireless security on the router.
    ie the wep passskey

Well my modem is connected to my main computer, but it also acts as a wireless modem (its one of those neotopia ones from Eircom).But the internet is working fine on the main computer (which is what i'm using to type this).

Right, then I am 98% certain it is the wireless settings on the laptop.

Open the router config screen via the web browser interface, find the WEP key and type that into the wireless settings on the laptop.

• Advertisement

tom dunne wrote:
    Right, then I am 98% certain it is the wireless settings on the laptop.

Open the router config screen via the web browser interface, find the WEP key and type that into the wireless settings on the laptop.
    OK how do I open my router configuration screen?One thing though, I already have the WEP key, and it must be right because it lets me connect to the network.....but I still have limited or no connectivity, even though I am connected to the damn thing.

OK how do I open my router configuration screen?

I'm afraid you'll have to RTFM on this one. I don't have an Eircom router/modem.
    One thing though, I already have the WEP key, and it must be right because it lets me connect to the network.....but I still have limited or no connectivity, even though I am connected to the damn thing.

I'm not so sure that is the case. I've seen instances where I entered an incorrect WEP key and got that "limited or no connectivity" message. I am almost certain it was fixed by re-entering the correct WEP key.

Hurrah I got it working!Thanks for the help!

So what did you do? What fixed it?

Advertisement