Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15.5 Screen AND lightweight?

Options
  • 15-06-2007 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been charged with sourcing a laptop for a colleague and their brief was as follows:
    Lightweight
    15.5 Widescreen (good for DVD)
    2GB+ Ram (buy in 1 GB slots)
    Intel Core Duo HD

Now to my mind, the first two items on that list cancel each other out, but maybe someone here can make a suggestion? Budget is €1,000 - €1,2000.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

merritt wrote:
    Hi all,

I've been charged with sourcing a laptop for a colleague and their brief was as follows:
    Lightweight
    15.5 Widescreen (good for DVD)
    2GB+ Ram (buy in 1 GB slots)
    Intel Core Duo HD
    Now to my mind, the first two items on that list cancel each other out, but maybe someone here can make a suggestion? Budget is €1,000 - €1,2000.

Any ideas?

:eek: You can get him ten laptops with that money :D

Not neccessarily so. Get your colleague to specify a weight as just saying lightweight is open to interpretation. Do you know anyone with a laptop that size. You could get him to see what it's like weight wise and he can say if that's fine or whether he'd prefer a lighter one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭merritt

:eek: You can get him ten laptops with that money :D .

People tell me I have a big budget. :p

You've got a good point there though, in that what he might mean is that he doesn't want a brick, but that a reasonably trim machine like a Dell D620 might do the trick even though it's not what I'd consider lightweight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

merritt wrote:
    People tell me I have a big budget. :p

Well people tell me I have a big cóck but you don't see me bragging about it :p
    merritt wrote:
    You've got a good point there though, in that what he might mean is that he doesn't want a brick, but that a reasonably trim machine like a Dell D620 might do the trick even though it's not what I'd consider lightweight.

You'd best check him first. The last thing you want is to order the thing, only e afor him to b!tch to you likn ungrateful b!tch about how heavy it is when he gets it.

Well people tell me I have a big cóck but you don't see me bragging about it :p

Enough about your oversized poultry!

Back to feather-light laptops with humungous screens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Enough of the fowl language.

Ask for more information that spec is too open. No battery life for example.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote:
    Enough of the fowl language.

Ask for more information that spec is too open. No battery life for example.

Very good question as a 9 cell battery would add to the battery life but also the weight. Not sure by how much though.

Alas, that's all I've got to work with. Hence my attempt to tap your collective wisdom to see if any models jumped to mind.

If I put it another way; what's the lightest laptop you know with a 15.4 screen?

Well as Almighty pointed out, 'light' is a relative term.

I've done the Google route, BostonB, thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Few hours in the gym every week and that laptop is going to keep getting lighter...

Acer seem to have fairly lightweight laptops in the 15" category, but they're also lightweight on features.

• Advertisement

merritt wrote:
    Well as Almighty pointed out, 'light' is a relative term.

Not at the check in desk for airline...

Thanks for the suggestion, CuLT. It'll help narrow down the search.

More suggestions welcome!

Advertisement