Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another reason for cyclops mirrors

Options
  • 15-06-2007 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭

While I realise this is an exceptional case, I suspect the only reason it is exceptional is because the victim survived.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19196349?GT1=10056
    No charges for trucker in wheelchair incident
    Driver unknowingly pushed disabled man for miles at speeds up to 50 mph
    Associated Press

Updated: 8:29 p.m. ET June 12, 2007

PAW PAW, Mich. - A truck driver whose rig snagged a man in his wheelchair and unknowingly pushed him at speeds up to 50 mph for miles will not face any criminal charges, authorities said.

Van Buren County prosecutor Juris Kaps said investigators determined the semi accidentally hit the wheelchair, the Kalamazoo Gazette reported Tuesday.

Ben Carpenter, 21, of was attempting to pass in front of the truck June 6 when the light at an intersection turned green and the 52-year-old driver, who was not identified, started to move.

The wheelchair turned forward and its handles got lodged in the grille in Paw Paw, about 140 miles west of Detroit. The rig continued picking up speed and pushing the wheelchair, with Carpenter strapped in it, down the highway until pulling into the parking lot of a trucking company.

Police said the wheelchair was pushed about four miles, but Donald Carpenter, the man's father, said the actual distance was about half that.

Ben Carpenter, who lives near Kalamazoo and has Duchenne muscular dystrophy, was not injured.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't think the cyclops mirrors would have made any difference there Victor as that truck was what the Americans call a "conventional" type, i.e. it had a bull nose engine. Most Irish/European trucks are what the Americans call "cab-over", i.e. the cab is over the engine and the windscreen is vertical with the front of the truck. A cyclops mirror is useless in a conventional truck/tractor unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.break.com/index/truck-pushes-wheelchair-for-miles.html

Pic and audio from the 911 calls.

CAUTION The website contains some Not Safe For Work material.

Advertisement