Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed re using cut-offs

Options
  • 14-06-2007 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

From browsing this forum I can see it's a pretty knowledgable and friendly crowd, so apologies in advance for invading it with what will probably seem like a pretty stupid questions, but I'm hoping for a little advice. It'll be painfully obvious that I know nothing about timber, wood, etc.

Part one: Just got the kitchen redone and there is a 2 foot by 1 foot (approx) cut-off of the Iroko wood worktop. I'd like to get it cut in half as two chopping boards. The guy who installed the kitchen told me that the wood, when being cut, can get stuck and burn out saws, so I'd just like to know if there is somewhere I can bring it that will do the job? I assume if someone has the right equipment it wouldn't take long or cost too much to do.

Part two: I've sanded and oiled the worktop with Danish Oil. Is that safe to use on these potential chopping boards - considering they'll be used to prepare food - or is there something else that should be used?

Part Three: There is a larger cut-off, approx 3 x 1.5 foot, that would be just right for a coffee table, but is legless. Can legs be bought that would suit this wood, is that a simple enough job? It's beautiful wood, and it'd be a shame to waste it - this seems like a good way to use it, but I have no idea how to go about it.

Thanks for your patience and advice. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. If you need any more info, just ask. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions with how to make use of these bits of wood that'd be great too.Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

i will try and help but others here will have more experience with this timber than me - i'm sure...........

part (1) - i have not heard of iroko being difficult to cut and have cut it frequently with no problems - i would think that getting it cut in half would be no problem - and your local joinery shop or someone here would be able to do it for you
    part (2) - danish oil is not strictly speaking a 'food safe oil' - you can buy food safe finishes - from chestnut supplies etc which are not as glossy as danish but leave a nice finish - but i use mineral oil / parafin oil - medical grade - (it is roughly the same as the food safe ones you buy) you can get it from the vets or chemists and is cheap and safe...
    part (3) - i'm not sure if you would be able to buy iroko legs - but you will be able to get some made for you to suit your table top - matching the iroko is the real problem - if you have offcuts for the legs thats great - if not take the table top to a wood yard and get the legs to match the grain and colours-
    you should be able to have the legs shaped or turned to suit your design - i have made one myself from off cuts of sycamore and looks great-

let us know where you are - someone here may be local to you and be able to help ...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi
    As far as I know Iroko sawdust is an irritant, i.e breathing it in is ill advised, some people even have problems letting it contact their skin. As far as burning out saws I'd agree that a jigsaw may find it difficult, particularily cutting circles as the blade deflects, but a circular saw or a table saw should have no problems for straight line cuts.

If you're in Wicklow or Dublin I will cut the smaller piece in half for you no problem, please pm me if interested.

I'd agree completely with Geoff on Q2, Chestnut food safe oil or the mecidinal grade parrifin wax.

Q3 is tougher, it may be quite expensive to have the legs made from solid Iroko, your best bet is to find someone who uses it regularily, possibly here or on furniture.ie

Cheers so
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Thanks for that. Even better advice than I could have expected.

JoeBallantine - I've sent a PM. Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

another option may be to get some more off-cuts possibly from your kitchen installer and get someone to cut, glue and turn 4 legs for you.
    It doesn't have to start off as a 3" square block.

where in the country are you?

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

As for oiling the chopping board I'd recommend olive oil or vegetable oil- both are obviously food safe, readily available and cheap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement