Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a camper van for 2 adults

Options
  • 13-06-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi we are thinking about buying a camper van it is for 2 adults whose kids have flown the nest. We will be using it in Ireland mainly for weekends.We have a budget of 10 - 12k what is the best thing for us to do. We know nothing about them would you recommend that we import from Germany or buy here in Ireland. What should we expect to get for that money how old would it be? Also we were thinking of using it all year for one of us to travel to work just a few miles away, that way we would have one car and the van instead of 2 cars. Is this a good idea. What are the other cost involved in owning one how much to insure and tax approx any other tips greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

10 - 12 k doesn't get you much these days, campers are getting pretty dear across the board.

Even in Germany for that kind of money you won't get anything much younger than very early nineties (in decent condition).

Actually, with the plate snobism that's going on in Ireland, older vehicles here seem to be no dearer than in Germany. Some van conversions (except "trendy" VW's) actually are cheaper than the German equivalent would be.

I would suggest looking for something in Ireland, as with an older vehicle condition is everything and you might have to look at a few frogs to find your prince. Flying over to Germany only to be disappointed quickly racks up cost that you could do without.

The other thing you have to make up your mind about is whether you want a small, converted van (to make daily usage easier) or a larger motorhome that has all the creature comforts (hot water , shower, toilet) for the weekends.

Unfortunately you can very rarely have both.

Insurance on a camper is ~350 Euro, tax is 78 :D
    There may be an insurance issue with the daily usage though, best to check terms and conditions thoroughly before you commit.

On paper (or rather on screen) this one:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=702343
    doesn't look too bad.
    (it doesn't break the bank either and could be a good starter)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭coleen

there are a few others on carzone that seem to fit the bill also maybe some one could advise if one is better than the other and for what reason. also what is more important would it be low milage or newer. Here are a few that I have seen elddis autoquest 4/5 berth 52,000 miles 1989 10,900 plus vrt talbot highwayman 1989 90,000 miles 5,500 euro duetto ford conversion 1999 88,000 miles 13,000 euro
    trident vw camper van 2.4 diesel 1993 90,000 miles 11,950 euro all these are pictured in carzone and look in good condition thanks again for advice

It is very difficult to recommend one over the other, as with a camper a lot hinges on personal taste and preferences, especially the decision on what layout is best for ones' needs.

To give the folks here an idea in which direction to point you, it would be a good idea if you could list what your future camper must have, could have and shouldn't have

As for the oily side of things ...low mileage is not necessarily better. Vehicles are meant to be driven (and serviced occasionally), just standing around unused many components can rot and rust pretty badly.

BTW ...there also is a van for sale on this board (page 2, I think)

Well as it is only for 2 of us we wont need lots of spacebut I think we would go for a 4 berth It would give us more scope. I would like a toliet and some type of washing facility. A small cooker and fridge and I would like it to have some kind of heating as we would hope to use it in spring and autumn as well as summer.Also a comfortable sleeping space. We really only want to use it for weekends and maybe a week would be the longest. We would like to be able to bring bikes on a carrier.I take your point about the smaller ones being easier to drive. I dont think we will be driving huge distances just short weekend trips. So all advice welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

As a second car and because there's only two of you I'd suggest some sort of conversion, ie, Fiat Ducato, Transit, Iveco etc. They are smaller and more suitable for everyday use. While a coachbuilt is typically more spacious they are a bit more awkard for parking and can be a bit more rattely.
    I recently sold a Hymer 494 swing which was a small 4 berth coachbuilt. While it was a four berth and only 18feet long it would have been most suitable as a two berth. Because of its height and size I still couldnt bring myself to using it on a daily basis.
    My suggestion: Decide if it's primarly for Holidays or everyday use, have a look at coachbuilt and conversions and testdrive both. If I was in you position I consider something like this Fiat currently on Ebay... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-DUCATO-MAXI-Motorhome_W0QQitemZ170120763650QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14256QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I have changed my mind about using it as a second car. I like that one on e bay so now I think I am looking for something clean and comfortable and warm that we can put 2 bikes on that is in good condition. I would like to buy in ireland and would be prepared to travel to view one. I like the shape and size of the one on e bay but would prefer to get something similar in ireland so that I would not have the hassle of getting back here. I will keep looking but if anyone to advise on any of the ones on carzone of the buy and sell or else where I would love to hear it. thanks

something like THIS has all the mod cons and enough space for two even on a rainy day on a very small and nimble footprint..

but ...

It still is a bit wide and high as a daily driver.

There are very good factory built van conversions out there now for two, even with showers and heatiing and all (similar to the e-bay link above) but they would still be a good bit outside your budget.

THIS manufacturer started it all and there are some affordable used ones HERE ...but factor in VRT and you're looking at 20k +

Van conversions in your price range with a proper "bathroom" (toilet & basin at least) will be that bit harder to find.

EDIT: just saw your last post ...

If you really only want to use it for going away, then I would recommend going for a "proper" motorhome (like in my first link, maybe even bigger) and not a van conversion. Interior space is so much better, so is insulation and so usually are the fittings.

Don't get too hung up on the bike carrier ...that's a relatively cheap aftermarket part that can be retro-fitted to any van that may not have one yet (I might even have one going spare, coming to think of it :D)

Now that I have decieded that I am going to get a "proper motor home" what year can I expect to get for around 10k alsowhat brands are known to be realiable. I am going to start ringing a few that I have seen for sale and just want an idea before I ring what I want What type of things should I be asking over the phone before I travel to see one. thanks again

Well ...for 10 k its going to be old or slightly older :D

I would't get too fixated on year or make, with an older motorhome it's condition, condition, condition.
    I'd rather have an 88/89 that is dry, well laid out and mechanically sound than a 94 that leaks like sieve, has an impractical interior and last saw a mechanic 5 or 6 years ago, even if it has a "good name".

First, I would suggest that you go somewhere where there are a few motorhomes (older ones) to look at ...ignore interior colours and fabrics (these can be changed:D) and concentrate on layout and functionality. Where does everyone sit, relax, sleep? Is it cramped or spacious? Do things have to be re-arranged all the time? Is the bathroom big enough? Do you want your kitchen in the back or at the side? Is there ventilation and light?

Comparing a few should give you a general idea what to look for and what you don't want ...then you can start searching in earnest for the one that ticks most of your boxes.

Now, at the height of the season may also not be the best time to buy ...if you're not absolutely shure your getting the best camper possible, maybe wait until later in the year when people think about upgrading.
    Choice should be bigger and cheaper then and there would be less pressure.

A good motorhome can also be used in winter, especially in Irish ones that are not that cold anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you're ever down this direction. Theres a range of campers on sale here so you can check out what you like/dislike in one.
    http://www.eastcoastcampers.ie/
    If you think of buying from them, bargain heavily... I think they're way overpriced myself.

This one is gas looking http://www.eastcoastcampers.ie/photos/thumbnails/IMG_3001.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

On the www.Motorcaravanclub.net site under ForSale there are a few that might give you an idea on price. Typically you're looking at anything from €12k to €16k for early to mid ninetys motorhomes, condition can vary too. I personally think they are over priced in this country mainly due to the VRT situaition. Also go to their links and you can view various motorhome dealer sites.
    www.imcc.ie also have links to dealers sites...

Stapeler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 2902tara

Here's one that a friend of mine asked me to sell in Donegal...although he's in Dublin with it this weekend....

MODEDIT
    no sales here, please use adverts.ie and the dedicated thread

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

coleen wrote: »
    Hi we are thinking about buying a camper van it is for 2 adults whose kids have flown the nest. We will be using it in Ireland mainly for weekends.We have a budget of 10 - 12k what is the best thing for us to do. We know nothing about them would you recommend that we import from Germany or buy here in Ireland. What should we expect to get for that money how old would it be? Also we were thinking of using it all year for one of us to travel to work just a few miles away, that way we would have one car and the van instead of 2 cars. Is this a good idea. What are the other cost involved in owning one how much to insure and tax approx any other tips greatly appreciated

We were in exactly the same position 6 weeks ago, and after much researching on the net we settled for a fiat Talento 460, 4 berth camper.
    Toilet, shower, cooker, hot water ect, bike rack, satellite ect.
    After our maiden voyage to killarney, then Parsons green the week after, we have not looked back.

Short wheel base makes manouvering simple beyond belief even without power steering, layout inside is excellent. If you are anywhere near the midlands you are welcome to call in for a look. The attached picture was one that was available in Galway 5 weeks ago, it may be still available, and it was at E8900 as far as I recall. so you can get good value if you are lucky. We were going to look at this one, but we bought one nearer home.

kadman

Advertisement