Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot glue.

Options
  • 13-06-2007 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I've been turning clocks lately and using the face plate to mount the piece for the mechanism/chuck recess. Although this works fine, it leaves few choices for the face of the clock because of the screw holes, basically I have to recess the face whether I like it or not. I could use a permanent piece of hard wood screwed to the face plate and stick the work piece on with a paper barrier, but that seems timely,I've only one faceplate. I was thinking of using hot glue. Would it be safe enough with a 10x2 inch workpiece.Is there limits to the size/weight that hot glue will safely hold. I'd rather not just try and see if it works,I know hot glue will work because I used it on a course, but on a smaller piece, just not sure of it's limitations. any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

i would guess that it would be fine - although it would depend on how heavy a cut you take - hot glue does seem to go off with time so turn it the same day as you set it.....another option - turn a large disc of plywood mdf and recess the size of your faceplate so that it will fit centrally every time - mark the mdf with holes 1inch or half inch apart radiating from centre on 4 radii. Everytime you want to turn a clock screw the wood faceplate to you clock face and turn the recess for the back - locate the screw holes as close to the edge as you can so that when you turn it round you can turn the screw holes off the edge - your disc will be 1-2 inches small than original but will have a chucking recess with no screw holes on the front side.
    another option which i use regularly is to make a jig for a router - which you can use everytime - and cuts the recess in minutes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks Geoff,I like both solutions.:D

Advertisement