Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Charging

Options
  • 13-06-2007 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Since ive got my new laptop ive more or less had it constantly charging, is this alright or should i let the battery run down and charge it back up?

I notice it does seem to get quite hot while it's charging as well, any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

jonny68 wrote:
    Since ive got my new laptop ive more or less had it constantly charging, is this alright or should i let the battery run down and charge it back up?

I notice it does seem to get quite hot while it's charging as well, any suggestions?
    Read an article in PC World awhile back about allowing your new laptop to completely drain it's battery early on, but cannot remember what the benefit was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Read an article in PC World awhile back about allowing your new laptop to completely drain it's battery early on, but cannot remember what the benefit was...
    Alright cheers for that i may well do that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

It's to reduce the memory effect. Modern lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries don't suffer much from it, but it's still a good idea to "exercise" it once in a while... Older batteries, once they were charged from a certain point before they were empty, they would then act as it that point was fully empty. For example, putting your battery on charge when it's 60% full a few times would result in it only holding 40% of the original charge after a while.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You should probably unplug it if you are powering it via the power supply as the excessive heat can damage the battery and reduce battery life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

You should probably unplug it if you are powering it via the power supply as the excessive heat can damage the battery and reduce battery life.

what happens though if i want to leave it on overnight downloading?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry I meant to say you should pull out the battery if are running it from the power supply for a long time. :o

Advertisement