Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in dublin

Options
  • 13-06-2007 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, Not 100% sure if this is the right place, but i think it is.

<rant>
    Basicially me and the better half are looking for a place to rent in dublin ( south side ) Near a luas line (10-20 mins walk) We are looking for a decent sized apartment with 1 bedroom or 2. Seperate kitchen and bathroom. Now everything i have found on daft.ie meets the requirements. But when i turn up to the apartment the accomodation is nothing like described on the website. For example:

www.daft.ie/220511

Its described as :

Very Nice 1-Bed Flat With Parking, Rathgar Road, Rathmines,
    Dublin 6,
    South Dublin City

But that means had a coat of paint, and some really cheap new carpet that feels like sand paper, 1 tiny bedroom ( smaller then single ) Parking...... Hah. The woman showing me th eplace said, There are 12 flats, and 12 parking spaces. But you are not guaranteed on. Even though the car parking is included in th rent... Oh and 1 washing machine, between 12 flats........ And 2€ a go !

The place before this, was by the boxing arena apparently.... Thats what the land lord said, but was infact 1mile up the road right outside a mosque, Now that does not bother me. But wy could he not of just said it was there. HE said it was newly decorated, and very big. I got in there And the entrance is manky and stinks of damp. No biggie i though, the flat is probably nice.... Oh how wrong was i? The wallpaper is atleast 20 years old, same as the carpet and furniture. And was basicially a bedsit. Livingroom, dining and kitchen in one room, 10x14 id say. Even the light fittings were from the 70's. The bathroom wa sso small that if i stood in there and put my hands on my chest and extended my elbows ( like doing the chicken dance ) and turned around my arms hit the walls. He also told us we have to pay the yearly refuse charge, And its 4€ per wash and 4€ per dry. At this point i lost the plot with him completly. I screamed at him that this is noting like the advert described and nothing like he said on the website. And the place was a bedsit not a large 1 bedroom apartment. And that how the fook could he charh that ammount ( 1000€ ) for a manky flat. Then i layed into him about lying about the location. And ranted that i had to drive for 45mins in rush hour traffic in the blazing heat to view a ****hole...

Is it allowed that the website www.daft.ie is allowing this? Or do they not actually check them?

Im going to fire of a nasty email to them and the agencies tomorrow.

</rant>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Unfortunately you have no comeback. Logistically DAFT can't vet every ad they put on their site!

Last time I was looking for a flat I saw some real kips. One was listed as a newly decorated 2 double bedroom apartment in the heart of Harolds Cross 1100 a month - it was actually just the top part of an old house at the start of Terenure, one bedroom was a single, place hadn't been decorated in about 20 years, and the bathroom was out in the hall that everyone in the building had access to - in fact the whole "apartment" was open to everyone, because as I said, it was just the top part of the house! As it was me and another girl looking to find a place I could not believe someone had the audacity to lease this place that anyone in the house could just walk into when they pleased!

What was his response when you lost it at him over the place being a kip?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OP I can barely read your post, can you change that mad link to www.daft.ie/220511 (see Daft Property Shortcode at the bottom of the ad) please?

By the way, I do totally empathise with what you are going through.
    Back in 2001 I was looking for a place and it was bloody hell, must have viewed about 30+ places before I got one in Rathgar which was in a nice and clean house.
    Don't give up hope, not all landlords are renting kips for extortionate prices and the market should be getting better rental wise if daftwatch is anything to go by.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

His responce was like he didnt even care what i was saying. Which wound me up more. I had to really restrain myself from hitting him a flog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭starky

Anti wrote:
    His responce was like he didnt even care what i was saying. Which wound me up more. I had to really restrain myself from hitting him a flog.

Land lords really get the old blood boiling!

Maybe DAFT should try and introduce some kind of landlord rating system? Users could post feedback like on ebay? Might be worth suggesting. I have often though of emailing DAFT, I think the site is fairly crap for searching and using. Not an enjoyable user experience at all. Its mad the way that it is the first place people go to view or look at properties!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

starky wrote:
    Maybe DAFT should try and introduce some kind of landlord rating system? Users could post feedback like on ebay? Might be worth suggesting. I have often though of emailing DAFT, I think the site is fairly crap for searching and using. Not an enjoyable user experience at all. Its mad the way that it is the first place people go to view or look at properties!

Landlord rating is good in theory but impossible to implement in reality. Most people renting don't even know they're landlords name, especially if its a letting agent.

Think DAFT its ok, not many better alternatives is there? Landlords/agents will always chance their arm in descriptions, not like they can't do same in the Herald or whatever, at least Daft gives photos for some places.

• Advertisement
Advertisement