Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need your opinion!

Options
  • 13-06-2007 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Here is a simple scenario. I'm going to try present this from a neutral point of view as I need to get some third party opinions:

Four persons rented a house in July 2004. There are two larger rooms and two smaller ones. The two who got the larger rooms are those who paid the deposit and found the negotiated the house and rental price. Each person in the house pays the same rent.

After two years in the house as students, finding tenants and renting rooms and paying a little extra to cover summer months during that period, only 2 of the original 4 are left. They invite 2 of their friends to move into the house in July 2006. Now it is coming up to the end of the year's lease and the 2 new housemates feel that they now deserve a room swap since they have been in the smaller rooms for the year.

First of all what is your opinion with regards whether or not they now deserve a room swap? Secondly, if they don't get into the bigger rooms should the persons in the bigger rooms be forced to pay extra per month at this stage? Or should the new tenants simply be told that they got invited to stay there and should be content?

It should also be noted that rental price is significantly lower than the average rate since a low inital price was negotiated (for several reasons) and that rental price has remained low due to the fact the 2 original tenants have managed to keep the house even during awkward summer periods.

There is a moral edge to this since all 4 are good friends but I would like if you could just give your logical fairness opinion. Thanks a lot for any input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

if they agreed to move in and take on the rent as was without a room swap then tell them where to go. however if their mates told them there would be a room swap then it's only fair.

bit odd the ppl in the smaller rooms are paying the same as those in the big room! don't know alot of ppl willing to do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Any house share I've ever been in, it's been first come first served. If either of the two oldies move out, then the newbies can take the bigger room. If the room sizes are very very different as in, two ensuites vs two box rooms then maybe the ensuite residents could pay a little extra. Othewise the newbies should be grateful and quit their moaning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

FYI There was no agreement made such that the two new persons would get the bigger rooms after a year. The two rooms are pretty small, one is medium and one is big.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Don't see why there should be a room swap.
    They took the room and agreed a price, they can leave if they now decide they are no long happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hi OP, I've been in this situation before, so my opinion:

1. The two newbies have a lot less hassle than the two originals because the originals set everything up - found the place, got all the services connected, bought pots pans etc. The reward for that is the bigger room. If one of the originals moves out, then the newbs could move to a bigger room, but only if someone leaves.

2. The newbs knew the rent when they moved in, like it or lump it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Are all of you paying the same price but there is a marked difference in the sizes of the rooms?

That's unfair to be honest.

I dont think there should be a room swap. I wouldnt swap my room for a smaller one but i shouldnt expect to pay the same.

Seriously though what do you think is fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Before I moved in with Ms. Stipey I rented an apartment with some mates.

We split everything 3 ways and every 6 months there was a competition for the big room. The current occupant got to choose the format of the competition (poc fada, pool, 100m sprint and so on).

That said though we were mates (and had been for years) and were all fairly easy going. Obviously this isn't the best approach for everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Agent J wrote:
    Are all of you paying the same price but there is a marked difference in the sizes of the rooms?

That's unfair to be honest.

that would be unfair if they all moved in at the same time - as the saying goes, "first up, best dressed"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

If they had raised this as an issue when they were moving in then i would say fair enough as it is highly unusual (in my experience) to pay the same rent for a much smaller room.

HOWEVER, these people accepted the room and the rent so its tough luck now. If they aren't happy then they should move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

How hard would it be for you to get two new tenants? with it coming to the summer it could be hard to fill the rooms until college is back, if they persist perhaps suggest their rent is reduced since they are in the smaller rooms. and point out that if their rent goes down by €30, that yours goes up by €30 so they will be getting their room for €60 less than the bigger rooms.

but I wouldn't offer to room swap unless it was an original condition of them moving in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Thanks for the responses.
    I think I need to be a little more specific. The rental price is significantly less than average. That price is low as a result of painfully searching for a good property, negotiating a low rental price and persisting with the landlord as his initial policy was not to rent to students!

I don't think I would have a problem getting new tenants as a result of the low price. However I don't want to go down that road. The guys are good friends of mine and I enjoy living with them.

When they moved in there was no mention of swapping rooms after a year. I can only assume they think it's normal to do this. Everything has a price so paying extra for a room would effectively equate to a swap anyway. Hence, I'm still sceptical about whether more should be paid for the bigger room, and why now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BlackIguana

First in get to choose rooms etc. Absolutely. The two newbies have no moral right to the large rooms now. The idea that you would just switch cos they want the bigger rooms as they've been here a year is complete and utter cr@p....

I would say "sorry lads, house rules. Room swap is NOT happening". Don't entertain any discussion about it. & it will probably peter out....

ffs there has to be advantages to doing all the organising etc and having lived there for 2/3 years as opposed to 12 months.

regards dividing rent by 4 ways. Sometimes I've seen that work. It sounds like you're paying below market on the whole house so I presume the rent for each individual room is below what it would get on the market too - right? though obviously those in bigger room are getting sweeter deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

as I see it the new comers have the following arguments:

argument 1:

they have had to endure the smaller rooms for a year and think its unfair that the older tenants have bigger rooms.

rebuttal:

if there was no agreement to change rooms after a set period how on earth could they think that they are entitled to a change?

the people who found the house, negotiated the price and found other people to fill the empty rooms are OBVIOUSLY entitled to the bigger rooms!

I asked my friends what the thought and the general opinion was, asking for the bigger rooms was a bit of a cheek. it has always been and will always be "first come first served".

my answer to the new comers would be, if you want a bigger room then you have to wait till your the oldest resident of the house or go and find your own house.

I think its wrong of the new comers to ask for the bigger rooms as they are trying to play on the fact that they are friends with the other people.

if there is an moral/ethical issue here then it should be directed at the new comers for putting their friends in the position of having to chose the bigger room over their friendship!

argument 2:

they are paying the same price for a smaller room and this is unfair

rebuttal:

the price of the room is only relevant if the value of the room is less then the rent being asked of the new comers. if the rent being collected for the smaller rooms is at the market price for a room of that size in an area of that type and so on, then the price should not change!

what makes the new comers think that their friendship with the older tenants entitles them to some sort of special treatment when it comes to rent?

if two new tenants with no connection to the older house mates moved in, would they be asked for the same amount of rent? if so, then why should the new comers be given a discount just for being friends with the older tenants?

overall

I have rented all my life and so have my friends and none of us have EVER had the cheek to demand a bigger room or less rent after I have moved in. if I’m not happy with the room its up to me to find another! and I think to play on the conscience of a friend to get a better deal is simply wrong!

"first come, first served" - end of story!!!

Advertisement