Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's been Munster's greatest import?

Options
  • 13-06-2007 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

As a good Heino-drinking latte-supping D4 boy, I'm just curious as to who Munster supporters think is the greatest of the many southern hemisphere players they have managed to lure to their colours.

On paper, many might say it would have to be Christian Cullen, a true rugby genius. But then, how often did he show that in Munster? He seemed to be on a permanent sick note. I have even heard it rumoured that he has been reported in the NZ press as warning off Luke McAllister from signing for Munster as he is reputed to be considering doing. Dunno if anybody else heard that.

Anyway, many dought warriors from down south have donned the Munster colours. Which has been the greatest in your humble opinion? Take the poll and we'll build a consensus. give reasons for your selection here and we'll have a debate.

Who has been Munster's greatest player from the SH? 34 votes

Christian Cullen
    0% 0 votes
    Trevor Halstead
    0% 0 votes
    Shaun Payne
    23% 8 votes
    John Langford
    17% 6 votes
    Jim Williams
    8% 3 votes
    Frederico Puciariello
    50% 17 votes
    Somebody else entirely
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

It would be between Jim Williams and Sean Payne, Jim Williams cause he's Jim Williams and a great leader and inspiration to all, Sean Payne cause he always gives his all for Munster and never let the team down.

But would have to say Jim Williams.

Sorry, who's Christian Cullen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Halstead's importance in winning the HC is often under-appreciated I think. Probably not there long enough to warrant being called their greatest ever foreign signing.

Payne and Pucciariello have both given great service to date. Not sure if I'd term them spectacular successes but they have certainly been very good signings. Payne in particular provided rock solid dependability at FB, and filled in well elsewhere across the backline.

Cullen shouldn't be on the list at all.

I'd probably go with Williams too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Goes down to either Payne or Williams and although the latter was a brilliant servant to the club but I'll say Payne simply because he was there to win the HC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Shaun Payne.

I feel sorry for Cullen, always looked a shadow of his former self.

He's probably the best running full back in the modern era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Im not a munsterman but from an outsiders view it has got to be Jim Williams. He has had a big impact and continues to do so and unlike so many imports he has fitted in so well with the spirit of the team.

Joint second for me would be Payne and Halstead both good quality players who have done a professional job week in week out. As mentioned already im not sure Cullen should really be on that list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Sham Williams cause I'm afraid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

daveirl wrote:

agreed. i am still not sure how munster won the Henino Cup without much of a creative back line, but when tries did come from them it was usually Halstead from a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

i would go with jim williams

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Glad to see that somebody gave Langford a vote. I went with Williams myself because he was so inspirational but I always thought Langford played his socks off. And Munster needed a line-out jumper when they had Gaillimh in the second row.

"Ligind" as he undoubtedly was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

jim williams

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i'd go for langford too.

OK, So who's the "Somebody else entirely" that somebody voted for?

I think we should be told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Trevor Halstead for me. He's a world class centre, something munster haven't had in a while to be fair. Did play a pivotal role in munster winning the Heineken Cup too, as someone pointed out above.

daveirl wrote:

You're kidding, right? Tell me there's no such person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

chris wyatt, mafi?:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Halstead.

Williams, Langford and Payne were all great signings but Halstead was the signing that won us the HEC, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

Jim 'Buddylove' Williams.

John Langford was also a big part of the Munster set-up when there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Has to be Halstead I mean J Williams was a great servant but Halstead has filled the major hole in centre which has being Munsters weak link imo and it is no coincidence that they won the Heino Cup when he has been there.

• Advertisement

Advertisement