Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiot Skaters

Options
  • 12-06-2007 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

It's summer & they're back!

There's nothing more inconsiderate than skaters/roller bladers on cycle tracks. They weave from side to side, blocking incoming and outgoing lanes, in synchronised formation & they never look behind them. Bells don't work 'cos they're listening to cool music on their IPODs marvelling at how cool they must look.

What's the best way to pass?

Humourous answers welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

empty a bag of marbles or ball bearings in front of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Have you seen the movie big daddy? A stick on the apex of a corner seems to get them off the path quite quickly.

MrP

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Air horn for your bike, they'll think that there is an eighteen wheeler truck coming up behind them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Friday last, I was sitting waiting for a fare to come out of a building on Mount Street and watched some skateboarders as they did a photoshoot of them doing various tricks. The goofball who was on the board must have tried the same stunt a good 20 times as I waited, every one of which he fell onto the pavement after making an arse of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

bk wrote:
    Air horn for your bike, they'll think that there is an eighteen wheeler truck coming up behind them :)
    Hmm, their immediate reaction would probably to swerve straight into the bike, with the smug skater's grin & still trying to look cool doing it.

Any way to 'fishtail' them so that they go back onto the footpath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Harpoon 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are we talking about the "I r teh fit" roller bladers or the sk8ter bois?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

There's nothing more inconsiderate than skaters/roller bladers on cycle tracks. They weave from side to side, blocking incoming and outgoing lanes, in synchronised formation & they never look behind them. Bells don't work 'cos they're listening to cool music on their IPODs marvelling at how cool they must look.

As I cyclist, I wouldn't point out the foibles of other venerable road users.

These are not venerable people, they're usually young & self-absorbed.

A 'foible', such as wearing lycra shorts is tolerable but skating and roller-blading on cycle tracks is plainly selfish and illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

skating and roller-blading on cycle tracks is plainly selfish and illegal.
    selfish maybe but illegal???
    where do you want them to rollerblade? On the street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Spray tag them.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Hamndegger wrote:
    Friday last, I was sitting waiting for a fare to come out of a building on Mount Street and watched some skateboarders as they did a photoshoot of them doing various tricks. The goofball who was on the board must have tried the same stunt a good 20 times as I waited, every one of which he fell onto the pavement after making an arse of.
    There's nothing wrong with that, you need to practice in every sport.

When overtaking skaters or pedestrians I find that politely saying 'excuse me' or 'sorry' as you approach from behind normally works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Hamndegger wrote:

Where exactly were you waiting, road side / cycle path?

selfish maybe but illegal???
    where do you want them to rollerblade? On the street?
    Yes, it's illegal to skate on a cycle track. They may use the footpath as long as they don't cause a danger or nuisance to others.

Advertisement