Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

maitri wrote:
    What does it mean (to you) to be a Taoist?
    To not be a Taoist. :p

I hold Taoism in high regard, however I don't consider myself a Taoist. It has many valuable lessons.

Some of my favourites are:
    Abandon learning from books - I still love reading but the most important things in life can't be found in books.

Those who speak do not know,
    Those who know do not speak. - I think this holds true for lots of conversations. It's fascinating. People who are illuminated don't speak of illumination. Cool people don't always talk about how cool they are :D

I can't think of any others now. The Tao Teh Ching is an outstandingly deep book.
    I'm reading The Book of Chuang Tzu at the moment. It's a very entertaining read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Thanks 18AD! :)
    18AD wrote:
    Some of my favourites are:
    Abandon learning from books -

What's fun with this one is that it's actually written in a book - so if it is right it is wrong... :p:D
    18AD wrote:
    Those who know do not speak. - I think this holds true for lots of conversations.

Yeah. Yet not speaking doesn't necessary mean we know either... :D
    I kind of have a soft spot for Socrates who meant that nobody really knows. (Or maybe I just hate the idea that somebody knows when I don't...)
    18AD wrote:

It's fascinating. People who are illuminated don't speak of illumination. Cool people don't always talk about how cool they are :D

It seems to me we generally tend to speak (and brag) more about what we want or feel we need in our life than what we really have. When we really have what we want I believe there is no longer any need to brag about it.
    And most people preach what they need to hear. (At least I know I do).

I like the one that says that "true teachers teach without words". It doesn't necessarily mean they don't use words as well, I suppose, but perhaps that there are much deeper levels of teaching or connecting with somebody than through words and concepts alone.

Yet I admit I love words - and books - and think I have learned a lot through them.
    18AD wrote:
    I'm reading The Book of Chuang Tzu at the moment. It's a very entertaining read.

Don't know that one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

maitri wrote:
    I like the one that says that "true teachers teach without words". It doesn't necessarily mean they don't use words as well, I suppose, but perhaps that there are much deeper levels of teaching or connecting with somebody than through words and concepts alone.

Yeah, that's another good one. I'd interpret it as leading by example or practicing what you preach if you're talking at all. Even nature has it's lessons but it's not trying to teach anyone.

I'll have to flick through the Tao Teh Ching again, there's always something new there every time I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

18AD wrote:
    I'll have to flick through the Tao Teh Ching again, there's always something new there every time I read it.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

18AD wrote:
    Those who know do not speak

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement