Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring an attic- where to begin laying

Options
  • 12-06-2007 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a thread in 'DIY' but someone suggested that you could help me as well
    I'm about to start flooring my attic, I have all the materials (the chipboards from Woodies (fit into each other), jigsaw, cordless screwdriver etc, knee pads etc.)

I have a fairly good idea of how to do it (stagger the boards for support) but am wondering if it's better to begin around the attic entrance or at the far wall. (The far wall seems easier but I could end up with a lof of cutting when I come to the attic entrance).

Any other bits of advice are appreciated.

Patrick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I would start from the attic access point and work from there, least that's what I did in my own place. You'll have a safe platform to work from and you won't have cut board edges around the most visible part of the floor. Regardless of where you start you will have some bit of cutting to fit but this should be easily done with chipboard. I would prefer to use a panel saw (cheap throwaway type) than a jigsaw for cutting the flooring. Cheap drywall screws are great for this job and a little rub of candle wax on screw threads will help in sinking them.

Advertisement