Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW research

Options
  • 12-06-2007 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

My name is Colm Brophy. I'm a student at University College London doing a M.Sc. in Human Computer Interaction. As part of the M.Sc. I'm conducting some research into the role of communication in collaborative online games. For this I want to study how people work together and communicate when playing World of Warcraft.

I'm looking for participants to record his or her communication while playing the game (with the consent of their party members). There's a couple of ways this could be done: one would be to use fraps (www.fraps.com) which is a screen recording tool, I hope I will be able to provide you with a copy; if you use ventrillo or teamspeak then it should be possible to record the conversation using the program itself; there are also addons that can log the text chat.

With that set up then the you would record up an hour of the game as you were doing an instance or a raid. All the data gathered will be anonymous and will not be published without your consent. If you think you'd be able to help me out by participating then I'd be extremely grateful. You can get in touch with me at cobrophy@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Colm Brophy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

an hour of fraps recording? Have you any idea how large that would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

An hour long recording would take up an enormous amount of disk space.. For the text to be visible, the recording would have to be a high-resolution.

Even at that, if the file was encoded with divx - it would still be substantially large. Good luck in finding someone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭BKtje

Just cos everyone is saying they won't.... ILL DO IT! ;)

Though would prefer to use chat logger than fraps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

You could just take SS's of your chat log? :P

Don't really need to record it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I've got some old fraps of my guild raids. They're not exciting as it's just the raid leader telling everyone what to do and others keeping the leader informed of what's going on. They're pretty desciplined until the boss is killed of course :D

Is that what you're interested in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cobrophy

I hadn't actually looked into the practicalities of using fraps to record that duration. The idea was to use the chat logger so it wouldnt have to be recorded at full screen. In reality the fraps aspect is less important than the sound and text recording (it was just a nice aspect to put those recordings into better context).

Caliden - I'd be interested in seeing the recording if you have it or its on the net.

B-K-DzR - If you're still interested could you drop me a quick email so we can arrange to record something.

If anyone else would like to help out I'd be really grateful - as I said the fraps recording is not essential, though the Voice and chat would be. If you're interested drop me an email.

Advertisement