Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Translation (french)

Options
  • 12-06-2007 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Ok, before someone decides to point it out - I know this should be in the French forum - but it's not exactly live and kicking at the minute.

Anyway - could anyone with decent French tell me if this makes any sense?

Allait-il comment votre examen?
    Je dirais que vous êtes heureux avec pas devoir étudier le français encore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

ThatGuy wrote:
    Ok, before someone decides to point it out - I know this should be in the French forum - but it's not exactly live and kicking at the minute.

I think it says ............. YORE MA !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

There's always one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

sorry, can't help with any productive answer!

Ah, I suppose you're forgiven ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do a google for a french to english translator. Might not be 100% but it should be close enough for you to figure it out.

• Advertisement

Do a google for a french to english translator. Might not be 100% but it should be close enough for you to figure it out.

That's where I got the phrase - I don't do French, but trying to see if it's right ... thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

ThatGuy wrote:

Maybe (this is rough)

How did your exam go?
    I would say that you are pleased with not having to study french again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    Looks about right (my French is rusty though)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think it is roughly that, but I don't believe it is correct french atall?
    Moved to the french forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

ThatGuy wrote:

Allait-il comment votre examen - How did yoru exam go?

Je dirais que vous êtes heureux avec pas devoir étudier le français encore - I would say you are happy to study french more !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

Ehhh, don't think so, to be honest.

Admittedly my French is pretty rusty, but that doesn't really make any sense to me. It looks like you did a direct translation from English into French, which is where we all make our fatal mistakes :)

I think you're trying to say "How did your French exam go? I told you you'd be happy without studying French again." Am I right?

For the first part it'd be closer to say something like "Est-ce-que c'est bien passé, ton/votre examen?" (Did it go well)

Second bit I'm not so sure myself what you'd say, but translating an English sentence directly into French will not work.

"Je t'ai dit que ca irais" - or something like that ("I told you it would go [well]" - conditional of 'ca va'). Note that I'm shabby on my tenses, so not sure passé composé and conditionnel respectively are what you should be using there. Might need to be imparfait and plus-que-parfait or something. I'm sure someone else'll be able to help though :)

Edited to add: Or on reading comments others have made, I could be completely and utterly wrong! Told you my French was rusty :D

I think it is roughly that, but I don't believe it is correct french atall?
    Moved to the french forum...

Yup, I was translating the sense if nothing else, the grammer looked a bit odd but its been so long it might just be that I have forgotten it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yeah that's fine though it's written, formal French, not something you'd ever say to a friend.

It could be rewritten though depending on the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

French university student here, so that gives me unquestionable authority over the rest of you linguistic peasants... :D

Neither of them make much sense, or at least aren't very idiomatic, I'm afraid. However, you're not too far off!!

How did your exam go - Comment allait votre examen?

I would say you are happy not having to study french again - J'imaginerais que vous etes heureux car vous ne devez pas étudier le francais toujours (ou encore).

The second one is just a slight alteration for a more simplistic construction

French university student here, so that gives me unquestionable authority over the rest of you linguistic peasants... :D

Neither of them make much sense, I'm afraid. However, you're not too far off!!

How did your exam go - Comment allait votre examen?

I would say you are happy not having to study french again - J'imaginerais que vous etes heureux car vous ne devez pas étudier le francais toujours (ou encore)

I know I'm just a linguistic peasant but surely you'd have done better asking the OP what he meant to translate in the first place, instead of giving a better french translation of my guessimation :P

You're all spot on (more or less). I don't study french myself, as I said before, but was curious how to phrase it.
    Thanks for the help lads nd lassies ...

well, he didnt ask us to translate anything - just to see if it made sense.. and having made a fair guess as to what his intentions were, I added my two cents!! But meh, say what you like, its the trying that counts..

well, he didnt ask us to translate anything - just to see if it made sense.. and having made a fair guess as to what his intentions were, I added my two cents!! But meh, say what you like, its the trying that counts..

Probably would have been easier if the OP had kept it simple, asked for the translation here in the first place :P Aw well, we all tried!

ThatGuy wrote:
    You're all spot on (more or less). I don't study french myself, as I said before, but was curious how to phrase it.
    Thanks for the help lads nd lassies ...

Though if, as seems likely, you're doing this so's to be able to say it to someone coming out of their French exam today, unless you don't know them you'd be better using the informal 2nd person 'tu'

So it'd be "ton examen", "que tu es heureux" and "tu ne dois pas" ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, I didn't bother translating it. Keep your 'we all tried!' to yourself. :p

• Advertisement

No, I didn't bother translating it. Keep your 'we all tried!' to yourself. :p

You tried too, maybe not by translating, but by discussing....give yourself some credit :D

I would say you are happy not having to study french again - J'imaginerais que vous etes heureux car vous ne devez pas étudier le francais toujours (ou encore).

The second one is just a slight alteration for a more simplistic construction

Ehh, again, linguistic peasant here ;) but should that first conjugation not be the subjunctive? "J'imaginerais que vous soyez heureux" (and to be honest, I'm not even sure I'd put "imaginer" in conditional tense there - present is fine, surely?)

"Imaginer que" is a construction of uncertainty, as opposed to "savoir que", isn't it? And if it is, it needs the subjunctive.

*pats self on back*
    Oh, feels so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i used astavista's babel fish translation. I did french for 9 years, but can't remember shag all now.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Anti wrote:
    i used astavista's babel fish translation. I did french for 9 years, but can't remember shag all now.

Babel fish is quite good, if you're looking for specific translations try wordreference.com, they have a grammar and idiom forum as well as a dictionary.

microgirl wrote:
    Ehh, again, linguistic peasant here ;) but should that first conjugation not be the subjunctive? "J'imaginerais que vous soyez heureux" (and to be honest, I'm not even sure I'd put "imaginer" in conditional tense there - present is fine, surely?)

"Imaginer que" is a construction of uncertainty, as opposed to "savoir que", isn't it? And if it is, it needs the subjunctive.

Nope, verbs of supposition - although still uncertain, don't require subjunctive - such as imaginer que, ou supposer que (dont worry though, I had to double check that one myself just to be sure!)

- and as for conditional v present, well its all a matter of preference really; I'm in Lyon here at the moment, and the difference is negligible, as in English..!

Ohhhh Lyon *sighs enviously*

Spent a few days in Lyon at either end of a Rhone-Alpes driving trip last year and really loved it. Much prefer it to Paris - though admittedly I did stay mostly around Vieux Lyon and a little wander through Croix Rousse. Dying to go back. :)

Oh, and good tip about the subjunctive! Now if only I can ever remember it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 caffreys

ThatGuy wrote:

Hi, it doesn't really make sense, although it would be understandable for a french speaker. it is probably a direct translation in french of " How did your exam go, I'd say you are happy not to have to sudy french again " .
    Now in french , it should be said like that : Comment s'est passé votre examen ? Je dirais ( or "je pense") que vous êtes content de ne plus avoir a étudier le français.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

frenchman here, and the answer is

"comment c'est passe ton examen? j'imagine que tu dois etre ravi de ne plus avoir a etudier le francais."

or for special effect, depending on nuances:

"comment c'est passe ton examen? j'imagine que tu dois etre ravi de savoir que tu n'auras plus besoin d'etudier le francais." (or... que tu n'auras plus a etudier le francais)

Advertisement