Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want advice on purchasing laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 aislingej

On the dell one I've added the 3 yrs extra waranty and 9 cell battery so is working out around €980.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

aislingej wrote:
    From what I read here avoid vista?
    Well, I am not so sure about that, if in fact you are buying a new laptop? Yes, Vista is full of bugs, but then again, XP will be supported only so long, and to upgrade from XP-2 to Vista is no fun.

I was planning on holding off on buying a new laptop for a year, but then my old one crashed big time on a zero day, so I struggled with the decision to buy with XP-2 or Vista preinstalled. Well, I bought one with Vista Ultimate, yes, there are compatibility problems with some programmes I had used with my XP-2 rig, but I won't have the conversion headache later.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey,
    I would have a gander at dell outlet, as €1000 seems a lot for that laptop, i bought my dell 6400 for under €700 delivered last year and it's spec was better than that. well it didn't have the 3 year warrenty, but still i'd check Dell outlet out.

Thanks Blue confuses me even more :D ok so possibly xp-2 but vista ready?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭smoc

I'm selling a New laptop myself. Bought it for college (and LAN gaming) 3 months ago but i dont need it anymore because i'm finished college and need the money for a round the world trip. Check it out here if you like http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=25294

By the way i think Vista is better in so many more ways than people give it credit (i have my reasons listed on my advert link (above)) for. I have an Unused XP CD if you require it instead of Vista all the same.

• Advertisement

Alan would the 6400 be a better machine the additional warantee is €120 ish so would still work out cheaper. As I said I'm not very techie at all so appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Ok will have a look smoc whats you bottom price? What do the rest of yet think.

Can you tell me if it takes the vodafone broadband sim card internally?

Also smoc what kind of warranty does it have?

As far as I know you can use that vodafone broadband modem on the majority of new laptops. Cant see why not after all it was made for laptops wasn it?!?

It has a 2 Yr Warrenty and according to the invoice it also has a 30day online Multimedia Training course if you were interested - i wouldn need that to be honest.

Lowest price.. well i have it in the Buyandsell for 800 and was gonna wait to see what happens on wednesday when it becomes active. In saying that i might!! take 725/730 cash if you collect it. :)

Hi again,

I use it at the min via usb cable bit annoying however on the dell site they say the have an inbuilt facility now so no need for the usb connection.

• Advertisement

It has a 5 in 1 multimedia card reader so i suppose it would go in there. It also has a card expansion slot. It just slips out and looks like you can put additional cards into it. It also has a '1394' - whatever that is. - some kind of USB slot it looks like. Like what you'd see on a digital camera or PSP.

Ok will give Dell a bell tomorrow and find out more on the vodafone thingie. Can you check out about warranty transfer how that works? and will chat at some stage then?

Grand i'll give them a call tomorrow too. You can always PM (private message) me if you want too.

Grand will chat tomorrow at some stage probs evening have 3yr old twins :)

Hi smoc got your pm. Just wondering why you decided to edit your post and remove the offer to include the usb key? Am quite keen however speaking to Dell and to be honest they havent a clue regarding the vodafone modem rang vodafone and they said there is no benefit in buying dell as they would advise to continue the way I am using the usb connection as it can be used on any laptop or pc.

I removed it because of what i said in my PM to you. I like keeping things clear and simple. Grand stuff anyway,. when would you like to come over? text me if you can. You have my number dont ya, cheers.

I'm going to have a look at another one first on thursday in Dublin so if I don't go with that will bring your mobile number and see how your fixed.

See yer man is giving you a hard time on adverts.

No problem, let me know how ya get on. ;)

Yes some people like to comment on stuff either to annoy me and/or try to show that their smart when really they dont know what their talking about. Its very rude and annoying. I hope you were not put off by his incompetence :cool:

cheers :)

Edit: i was just fixing grammer this time :D

Certainly not there's always one who thinks they know it all:) will be intouch. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

I really wouldn't advise getting an extended warranty.
    they don't tend to break easily and companies make a lot of money getting warranties.
    I've read about it in books and stuff, but they're over in Ireland so I'm having to quote Wikipedia:

groups, such as the non-profit Consumers Union, advise against purchasing extended warranties. David Butler of the Consumers Union says, "The extended warranty is definitely in the best interest of the company, but isn't often in the best interest of the consumer." He adds, "The company is much more likely to profit from the extended warranty than the consumer is." In many cases, if the item does need repairing, the cost of repairs are less than the cost of the extended warranty.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that singloud appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

No worries, if I go back and look at all the extended warranties I didn't take, I feel very happy indeed.
    It's just not worth it, how much money are you saving without the extended warranty?
    It'll probably come with a years warranty already,just keep that as it'll do fine until your used to the thing.

I think it was an additional 130 for the 3 yr extended waranty. Looking at smoc's machine he gives a link above what do you think? would appreciate opinion.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

smoc wrote:
    It has a 5 in 1 multimedia card reader so i suppose it would go in there. It also has a card expansion slot. It just slips out and looks like you can put additional cards into it. It also has a '1394' - whatever that is. - some kind of USB slot it looks like. Like what you'd see on a digital camera or PSP.

1394 is for a firewire cable. Similar to a usb port but it's faster but is not as widespread as usb.

Cheers almighty not too techie myself so appreciate any opinions.

smoc wrote:

Faster than a USB :eek: :cool: hmmm.. good to know. might use that for my digital camera instead now. it has one of those leads with it i think and so dose my mp3 player now that i think about it :D

Any news with sale? your leaving me out in the cold here :(

Hiya,

Appologies I bought one on thursday running on Vista had awful problems trying to get online as I use the vodafone 3g modem which is not vista compatable so eventually got it sorted today and back online.

Appologies again and good luck with the sale.

Advertisement