Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyflin Viking Ship

Options
  • 11-06-2007 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

It's not strictly Archaeology but I'm hoping someone has information on the viking replica longship built in Dublin in 1988. Whats happened to it? Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

As far as I know it is still moored on the Liffey down at City Quay or maybe on the North Wall Road. I remember seeing it there a few months ago.

There is a replica of one of the Roskilde ships due to visit soon. The original was possibly built in Dublin. The dendrochronology matches to oak from Wicklow and Dublin from the 10th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

The Dyflin is undergoing very slow reconstruction. Some scumbag swum across the liffey a few yearsa go, and set it on fire, destroying much of the rigging & the sails.

Last time I was on it was maybe three years ago; we refitted it as a medieval pirate ship, while making a documentary for the discovery channel ("Warrior Women: Grace O'Malley"). It was pretty scary; the sails were screwed, so we replaced them with a trianglar tarpaulin, and it was shipping water like there was no tomorrow. The engine wasn't 100%, so we had to use a tug to drag us around the bay.

Soon after that it went in for a refit, and hasn't been out since. I've no idea if it'll ever be seen again

Closest I've been to an Irish Viking ship recently is a small bit of paddling around in Ferrycarraig estuary in the little skiff the Roskilde Ship Museum built for the INHP last year. It only takes three people, and doesn't have a sail :(

The Havhingsten is a fine ship. I got to play on it a bit back in 2005, when they launched it (sans sails & rigging). Narrow though. You wouldn't want to camp out on it though. Very...cramped. Or maybe I'm just spoilt by cargo ships like the Vestfold Viking's "Gaia".

If you have an interest in such ships, there is a wonderful festival every year in Norway; http://www.vikingtid.no/festival07/program_en.php - dozens of ships.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

I know it's not the same ship but there's a great ship that was rebuilt in Scandanavia (originally built in Dublin in the viking period of "Dubh Linn" ) and to sail back to Ireland. You can see the exhibition in Collins Barraks.

Advertisement