Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying out shared ownership

Options
  • 11-06-2007 2:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I've been quoted a figure by DCC to buy out thier portion of my house.I'm currently looking at several mortage options with different institutions.Does anybody know the exact procedure in relation to this transaction,ie do i have to hire a solicitor,anything else i should know?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes, you will need a solicitor to do the paperwork. You may also have a stamp duty obligation- as you are not a first time buyer on that portion of the property that you are buying back from the Shared Ownership scheme (get proper advice on this though).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clawsthefirst

smccarrick wrote:
    Yes, you will need a solicitor to do the paperwork. You may also have a stamp duty obligation- as you are not a first time buyer on that portion of the property that you are buying back from the Shared Ownership scheme (get proper advice on this though).

S.
    according to the site I just looked up "transactions under the shared ownership scheme are exempt from stamp duty". I assume this also covers when you're buying them out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Yeah its exempt,also thier equity is below the stamp duty threshold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

according to the site I just looked up "transactions under the shared ownership scheme are exempt from stamp duty". I assume this also covers when you're buying them out

I would not assume this. I would seek professional financial advice on the matter. I did try to find this out previously (from SDCC) and did not get a yes/no answer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think that only applies because the property you are buying is exempt as its new. Once you try to buy full ownership it isnt new. Hence what smccarrick said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How much more was the figure compared to when you bought it? have heard of them freezing the price in certain cases.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There's no stamp duty. You will need a solicitor for conveyancing, most mortgage brokers have an "associated" one they recommend. It's a nice feeling to buy the council out of their share, and your repayments won't amount to too much more than you're currently paying in total.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

KdjaCL wrote:
    How much more was the figure compared to when you bought it? have heard of them freezing the price in certain cases.

kdjac

The cost of redeeming the loan(ie buying them out) is pretty much exactly what the house cost originally.I bought 4 years ago and the price has increased by 150 grand so its not a bad deal at all.Idealy i should've bought them out sooner but i couldnt afford it at the time.

Advertisement