Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rent negotiable?

Options
  • 10-06-2007 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Now that the market is slowing down would it be reasonable to try to negotiate rent? I've never rented in Dublin before so I don't know whether this is usual or not. I'll be renting near the upper end of the market in Castleknock and presume I'd be a desirable tenant (as a mature single professional) if that makes a difference. Any opinions or advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I’m a landlord and I would say two years ago rent was very negotiable. At the moment it’s going up again. I generally find that most tenants will make an offer bellow the asking rate. If the house has been empty for more than a month Ill take what I can get. If there is lots of interest Ill wait until someone offers me the asking price. You're correct in saying that landlords love it when a single person rents their property.

In conclusion it doesn’t hurt to make an offer but don’t be offended if the landlord says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I've rented houses / flats in Dublin for around 6 years before I bought a house, I've always tried to negotiate on rent and have found that most flats are not negotiable as there is a big interest in them especially in them and they are generally not empty for more than a week or two.

When I started renting houses I've never paid full asking price and have had reductions of €100 - €300 off the asking price. If the house looks like its been empty for more than a few weeks you will most likely get a reduction as it suits the landlord better to reduce the rent by a couple of hundred and get a tennant immediately than to have a house empty for a month or more... Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

First off everything is negotiable
    Second off daftwatch shows you what the current supply of rental property is like:
    http://daftwatch.atspace.com/

As you can see from the second big graph there are a ton of places to rent right now. This is a recent increase in availability so it might take a little while for prices to come falling down, but they are definitely on a downward track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

That's very interesting, Whizzbang. Last September/October I had a nightmare of a time trying to find a place to rent (1/2 bed for me and my girlfriend, both professionals, both mid-20s with references). I didn't think things had improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

yeah, that was a bad time, now its much better as you can see! for example my sister was renting out a 2 bed in Dundrum last week and got very few calls about it.

Try ringing around and seeing what other availability is like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

bugler wrote:
    That's very interesting, Whizzbang. Last September/October I had a nightmare of a time trying to find a place to rent (1/2 bed for me and my girlfriend, both professionals, both mid-20s with references). I didn't think things had improved.

I had the same problem just aftre that time too, looking for a couple of months to find a place. From what my mates who are looking to rent now are telling me its the very same now as it was 6 months ago. Negotiating rent down has been impossible since last August -sep. You only have to look at the amount of people turning up to view properties for rent in your area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The rental market may have excess supply at present- but this is traditionally the slow period, it gets really busy again in about 2 months time. Castleknock is a very desireable area though- so if you really want the place, don't play hardball too much with the landlord......

Advertisement