Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house snag

Options
  • 08-06-2007 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

I snagged my new house today and in general the house is very well finished but there are a few minor things like little scratches and very small imperfections. I noted and photographed every little thing but my question is, how much to the builders have to do on the snag list?

I know that no new house will be absolutely perfect but at what stage will the builder not do the little things?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pester power rules. The harder you chase them, the more that they will do. If the list is all pretty minor stuff, you're doing very well though. There have been a lot of complaints recently about either non-completions, or extremely sub-standard work. S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

My Snag list was mostly just small/minor bits and peices. . whilst they fixed some of the stuff not all was done. . . I needed the keys so I had to let them off on the stuff they missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

There are snags you can fix yourself, if necessary, and those you can't. Make sure you get the builder to do all of the latter at a minimum before you sign for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

davros wrote:
    There are snags you can fix yourself, if necessary, and those you can't. Make sure you get the builder to do all of the latter at a minimum before you sign for the place.
    Snags you can fix your self? why should you? you've just give the builder a wad of cash, your hardly gonna finish the house out for him now are you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Drapper wrote:
    Snags you can fix your self? why should you? you've just give the builder a wad of cash, your hardly gonna finish the house out for him now are you ?

It really depends on the nature of the snag eg cleaning

So for example you generally have two types of cleaning
    1) House full of rubble / rubbish
    2) Builder has cleared out the house and some items are a little dusty

So yes item 1 would have to be done, where item 2 could be let slide.

If your under pressure to close and move in, the general rule of thumb you should use is this going to cost me money to fix if I don't get the builder to do it.

Of course ideally you shouldn't be under pressure to move and are happy to wait until your 100% happy with the house.

Cheers

Fintan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

fintan wrote:
    It really depends on the nature of the snag eg cleaning

So for example you generally have two types of cleaning
    1) House full of rubble / rubbish
    2) Builder has cleared out the house and some items are a little dusty

So yes item 1 would have to be done, where item 2 could be let slide.

If your under pressure to close and move in, the general rule of thumb you should use is this going to cost me money to fix if I don't get the builder to do it.

Of course ideally you shouldn't be under pressure to move and are happy to wait until your 100% happy with the house.

Cheers

Fintan

Finishing foreman is gennerally responsible for "spring cleaning" (windows, walls, floors and sanitary ware etc) the finished unit, so its not your business to clean it .......... yes like any house dust can gather but builders waste is not your responsibility..... and should be picked up, but to be honest there are more important snag items than this on anyone list.... as you would know fintan from your business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Drapper wrote:
    If you are really thorough with the snag list, it'll be pretty long. It's very unlikely you will get perfection from a builder and the various contractors; they just don't care about your house as much as you do.

After you move in, you will notice new snags and you'll be attaching things to walls, etc. and so end up filling in small holes in plaster and touching up paintwork anyway.

So, get the builder to do as much of the work as possible but don't delay your moving in date over trivial items that would take you minutes to put right yourself.

But don't let them away with anything that you cannot easily fix yourself or costs money, as fintan said. Don't accept an assurance that you can go ahead and sign the papers and they'll be back to complete the list.

Advertisement