Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop - Wifi enable/disable button not working

Options
  • 08-06-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Strange problem here with a laptop, its a Fujitsu Amilo M 7440. Anyway it's got an onboard intel wifi card, and like many laptops, its got a key near the power button to enable/disable the wireless card which seems to override all software settings.

It's currently disabled and I cant seem to enable it. When I press it nothing happens. Have checked power options, Bios, and many other places but no solution.

It is possible that the key is physically broken I guess, since the owner doesnt remeber/know when it stopped working, anyone know any way of changing this setting software or what could be the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It's a bit of a drastic option but a clean install of Windows might work as on some laptops the button is reliant on a piece of software installed by the manufacturer that handles the enabling/disabling.

Maybe the button itself is broken and was set to the off position when it broke anyway without the service running the background it may default to regular operation.

A more easier option would be to install the generic Intel WiFi drivers as this may break the link to the background service for the button (this happens with Dell laptops for instance). If you know the make of the chip you can get the drivers under the wirelesss\WiFi products section.

Lastly maybe the software handling the button was accidentally uninstalled or corrupted somehow you could try re-installing the WiFi drivers along with any system utilities from Fujitsu's site.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Advertisement