Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sun

Options
  • 08-06-2007 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

So. We were having a discussion about this in work yesterday and we came to the conclusion that as kids you could easily look up into the sky on a sunny day with out burning away your retinas. I tried it yesterday and was in tears after 2 seconds. What is the reason for this? Is it because we spend so much more time in doors these days our eyes cannot adjust to it?

If this is the wrong forum, mod feel free to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Ill answer this as best i can.In the height of summer the suns rays are directly hitting the Earth's surface.:ie there strong.
    Now in the winter months the suns rays are angled, hitting side on and are not as powerful.In any case,it can still damage our sensitive little organs so i wouldn look to long with the naked eye.
    we came to the conclusion that as kids you could easily look up into the sky on a sunny day with out burning away your retinas. I tried it yesterday and was in tears after 2 seconds

Or else your just getting too old Anti.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Damn these useless eyes :(

Thanks for the answer though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

When you were young, Anti, you were very, very, fortunate not to have permanent eye damage from looking directly at the sun. Most people would have some permanent damage. That's as equally valid in the past as today. It is one of the big dangers at times of solar eclipses when people are urged to take precautions.

Advertisement