Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this HD fit a Dell 6400 laptop

Options
  • 08-06-2007 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=336007

Dell don;'t offer a 250gb hard drive for the 6400 just wondering if i bought a bog standard 6400 say with 60-80gb hard drive could i remove it and put in the 250gb komplett hard drive above.

What issues would there be with this i.e. warranty and also will it fit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I take it the drive in the Dell is SATA also, and not ATA133 or something? It should fit no problem, will you be able to install it though if you don't get boot discs with the computer, as the recovery partition on the hard drive it comes with obviously won't be available... I dunno about warranty, I expect it would void it, but if you're careful and something does go wrong, throw the original one back in ;) Any of the (slightly older) Dells I've done HD work on haven't had warranty stickers on the hard drive access panels...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Dell don;'t offer a 250gb hard drive

Haha! When I read that first I was thinking "Dell don't offer a 250GB hard drive in the shops, so call or buy online!"

Good oul advertising!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't think it will void the warrenty as when I got my 9400, it came with instructions for removing the hard drive and putting in a new one. Doubt they would give that if it would void the warrenty. I'd still check it to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭markjobrien

Cheers for the info.

What are the issues say the machine comes with a Vista/XP install disc can i pop in the hard drive then put the above discs in and load up a new copy of XP/Vista onto the machine or is there something else i need to do?????????

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just make sure you have all the drivers. You should have gotten a cd with them on it from dell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement