Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programme for Government

Options
  • 07-06-2007 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭

What do you want in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

A proper DTA with full power to regulate the greater dublin area transit operators. This would include ticketing, timetables, bus operators and would have customer representation on its board.

Now, I know there is no chance of that, so real progress on T21 would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Victor I wrote a nice PM which the internet ate before it could be sent.

I want the states county roads to be taken seriously, so much time and money is being thrown at the main N routes (necessarily) that the poor old R and L roads have been pretty much forgotten about. They are in a pretty poor condition (though some counties do seem to take them more seriously than others), the minor roads system is a mess with arguably way too many 'near-boreens' still in use. (can many be rationalised I wonder?) However the more strategic roads are vital to the rural economy and society, they are subject to significant wear and tear from large commerical vehicles which are clearly way to heavy and fast for much routes. The funding is via the Dept of Environment local authorites grant I think (whatever happened to motor-tax income being diverted for county roads programme?), as such should'nt the Minister for State at that dept or maybe transport be charged with overseeing a proper programme of upgrading - from drainage cuts to road markings to new bridges to re-allignments the whole system needs a shake up and someone to crack the whip.

Yes I spent all day on the roads. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

markf909 wrote:
    A proper DTA with full power to regulate the greater dublin area transit operators. This would include ticketing, timetables, bus operators and would have customer representation on its board.
    Ditto. This is just as or indeed more important than flashy infrastructure. We could get Dublin moving a lot easier than we think. Tied in with this powerful DTA MUST be integrated land use planning and development. The two (transport, planning) are really one and the same and ought to be treated as such. I'd like to see the proposed outer orbital of Dublin and the eastern bypass scrapped completely as nonsense projects that basically say "we can't get public transport in Dublin working so let's build more roads".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I will echo what markf909 has said. The DTA needs to be implemented in full as laid out in the original report that has subsequently been watered-down by the politicians.

The amount of fudge, incompetence and corruption involved in the land planning and road transport sector is spellbinding, the original DTA report was a leap towards taking much of this out of the hands of all the various departments and agencies all with their own agendas.

The Interconnector should be the big rail project after Metro North. Luas Green line and Cherrywood/Bray extention need to be converted to Metro and linked in with Metro North from the start and the on-street Line BX link-up scrapped.

IE need to be allowed to fast-track the DASH 2 Loop line capacity increase.

The road building needs to have the brakes put on it. With the exception of the main city-city links there is no need for any more DC or Motorway projects. Our population density does not really justify all of them, never mind some of the other roads people are clamouring for DC status.

Upgrading dangerous sections of secondary routes and bypassing seriously congested towns with 2+1 or similar should be the most that is necessary. The M3 commuter expressway is a disgrace and must not be repeated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Timeline for T21 is important - stop pushing so much stuff to the end. All, now! e.g. electrification of my Maynooth line ;)

Implement DTA - front page of this week's Northside People is about IE and RPA at odds over Broadstone. Yer on the same damn team!

Education of drivers, cyclists and pedestrians is seriously lacking. A driving license is a privilege, not a right.

Seriously reform planning laws. Everything else will naturally follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Footpaths. Footpaths. Footpaths. especially out of towns. We really don't know how to deal with pedestrians.

stop promising the western rail coridor from claremorris to Sligo when it won't happen there isn't the demand for it -and it would be better as a long distance cycle track

Sorry - I love motorways - but there is a reasonable argument not to route the M3 near Tara, this has become a "we will dig our heels in issue by FF", it will transpire in years to come the land around the M3 has been rezoned as a favour and we will be into all that again - so FF listen to international opinion the M3 should be rerouted - no matter what the cost. So just admit it needs to be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

Westtip, I started a separate thread about foothpaths around towns as I think this should be a bigger issue and do not want it to get lost in this thread.

I agree with Mark909F so no more to say there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Input from a colleague who is very active in West Dublin, though not affiliated with any political party.
    1. Deliver Transport 21, front load it by starting on the interconnector now.
    2. Planning reform, resource the Local Authorities planning depts, enforce decisions, make sustainable development meaningful (by ensuring new schools are developed in time, public transport is intergrated with new development, use the SDZ process, implement Kenny report for all newly re-zoned landbanks), increase local participation.
    3. Ethics - reform funding of political process. Current system is open to abuse, the evidence is in the tribunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

The DTA was in the last programme for Government so it's obvious that inclusion in this one won't necessarily make it a reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

1. CTA and DTA.
    2. Interconnector
    3. Navan
    4. Clockface Enterprise
    5. Limerick/Blarney/Galway/Waterford commuter soon - even if it means using the pushpulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

In a wider context, I recently read an economic theory which postulated that the speed at which an economy can grow is directly related to the speed at which people can travel on a daily-basic.

Looking at the M50 today I think we're doomed.

Basically *all* the Irish political parties play parish-pump politics with transport. Transport needs to be taken out of the hands of politicians altogether in order to devise a fully-intrated join-up strategy.

How this could be achieved in practise is way beyond my imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Some stage over the next five years of government,
    local government(DCC) be given funding for the re-painting(red) of the cycle lane on Mespil Road!

Obviously for the next programme for government in five years time, I would like funding be set aside to have the cycle lane policed, that is, not to allow TAXI's to park on the cycle lane outside Bank of ireland during rush hour!

But I feel this is too much to ask!

Advertisement