Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house as an investment in Liverpool?

Options
  • 07-06-2007 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of buying a house in the UK.
    I currently live in Surrey, but dont think i'd be able to afford a house here on my own just yet. I also plan on moving back to Dublin in the near future so dont want to have a massive mortgage on a house here.

I was lookin at investing in a house in Liverpool, were they seem to be really cheap. With them being capital of clture of something next year and a lot of investment going into the area, would this be a good buy?

I havent yet looked into the specific areas or anything, but generally would this be a good investment?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you're planning on moving back to Dublin, as you say you are, you would forfeit your First-Time-Buyer status (0% stamp duty) here in Ireland, if you buy in Liverpool. Commentators in the UK are forecasting a property bubble there, akin to ours, at the moment- so Culture Capital etc, I wouldn't be too thrilled.

Have a look at previous Culture Capitals- what boost, if any, did this honour have on property prices?

Regardless of UK property appreciation- it could well that the loss of your FTB status in Ireland would far outway any potential gain in asset value in Liverpool......

Advertisement