Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal requiements of estate agents?

Options
  • 06-06-2007 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what my rights are when it comes to buiying a house.

I put an offer in on a house in excess of the asking price. The estate agent never got back to me so after 10 days I rang him.

He told me that there has been another offer on the house but would not tell me what that offer was.

I couldn't find any website on the net that explained what my rights when it came to dealing with an estate agent. Do I have any rights? Does the estate agent have to tell me what the highest offer is?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 zee_hb

byrnenj wrote:
    Does anybody know what my rights are when it comes to buiying a house.

I put an offer in on a house in excess of the asking price. The estate agent never got back to me so after 10 days I rang him.

He told me that there has been another offer on the house but would not tell me what that offer was.

I couldn't find any website on the net that explained what my rights when it came to dealing with an estate agent. Do I have any rights? Does the estate agent have to tell me what the highest offer is?

Thanks

Sounds dodgy. Estate agents can't withhold that sort of information from a bidder. You do have rights and make sure the estate agent realises that you know what those rights are. If you still get nowhere, insist on speaking to his superior. Good luck!

zee

http://www.homebug.net - homes, interiors, art, design - ireland & elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Exactly what rights does the OP have?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Uou have no rights with an estate agent and they have no responsibility.
    If the agency is a member of an auctioneering association (IPAV etc )they may have a code of practice to follow and you could complain to the association but there is no enforcement in law,
    Best advice would be to contact the owner directly with a letter through the door,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The agent's obligation is to the owner, they have none to the bidder. They were trying to get that changed themselves but govt didn't listen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Are you looking to buy an owner-occupied property? You could write to the owner with your full offer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement