Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Luas posters

Options
  • 06-06-2007 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭

Seen recently in Abbey Street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

It like Dublin Bus with the old "exit via middle doors" sticker. I've seen many a confused tourist wait patiently for the middle door to open !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The problem is that "Allow passengers off before bording" need to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

monument wrote:

But the poster seems to contradict that !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I suspect this campaign is an attempt to put manners on the most aggressive and insistent travellers who use Public Transport in Dublin.
    Yes...Its the Free Passers...generally though not universally over 66 and on a MISSION.
    These folks will happily barge through,over,and under any alighting passenger in their quest to get to the next stop.....U have been warned...The video evidence can be startling !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

monument wrote:

And printed in six foot letters at Jervis and Abbey Street stations :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

I think Luas/Veolia do okay with their info posters, at least it's something. It is kinda sad that people here need posters to teach them decent manners :(

I've seen people push past others on crutches, swarm around wheelchairs and blind people (even saw one lady rest her shopping on a guide dog's back).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It can be crazy... a week or two ago just inside the door I was holding my self firm so no one would push me into an old woman standing behind me.

I warned this fellow quite clearly (to him and everyone around) not to push into me for the reason outlined above and that there there was no room on this part of the tram. He of course pushed in anyway, I felt like hitting him, pushing him out, or at least asking again clearly if he had any manners or decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I know,it is a pain in the neck and it affects all sections of public transport.

Just today, I was waiting for a bus with others at the stop and it happened to pull up beside me. I stood back to allow the others on first (After all, they got there first) only for a "lady" in her 30's push by us onto the bus first. It needs not be said who got to the stop last :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think Luas/Veolia do okay with their info posters, at least it's something. It is kinda sad that people here need posters to teach them decent manners :(
    The problem being the poster suggests people get on first, then people get off.

I did Connolly - Abbey once. I had to stand on people to get off they were so insistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Hamndegger wrote:
    I know,it is a pain in the neck and it affects all sections of public transport.

Just today, I was waiting for a bus with others at the stop and it happened to pull up beside me. I stood back to allow the others on first (After all, they got there first) only for a "lady" in her 30's push by us onto the bus first. It needs not be said who got to the stop last :mad:

Here in Limerick things aren't helped by the situation of waiting inordinately long (e.g. 30 mins on a 15 min schedule) and having a nearly full (or even full) single deck bus arrive with a crowd at the bus stop. The prospect of waiting another 15 mins or more is seldom appealling. At peak times things can get fairly nasty. Quite honestly, I find it hard to blame the passengers; I know Bus Éireann have on numerous (daily?) occasions offered such a shoddy service that they're lucky people don't torch the bus. I pity the drivers, even if they're not always running buses in a sensible manner (e.g. not waiting at terminal stops for the timetable) it is the management who should most be held to account.

Apologies for diverging slightly more off-topic. Bus Éireann frequently induce quite a degree of anger in me. From what I've seen of Luas along the quays it's probably similar for some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Victor wrote:
    The problem being the poster suggests people get on first, then people get off.

I did Connolly - Abbey once. I had to stand on people to get off they were so insistant.

Does the written one not say allow passengers off before boarding?

And the red/green poster just means (people already on/not going anywhere) stand out of the way of the doors to let people on/off.

But then if someone's taken it up the wrong way it's not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The problem really is down to most of the stops having stupidly narrow platforms, getting off in Heuston is real fun

Advertisement