Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing

Options
  • 05-06-2007 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

I live with my parents for the last few months, I wanted to go on the housing list so at least Id have some chance of getting a house once Im in my thirthys. But I cant apply because I live with my parents now! Please help Im only living with them once my loan is paid off for me car! So wat can I do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The opinion is that you do not need housing, as you already have housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭coco

Its only tempory that Im living with my parents, its not my house and Im bit old to living with them still! So I want to kinda plan ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

coco wrote:
    Its only tempory that Im living with my parents, its not my house and Im bit old to living with them still! So I want to kinda plan ahead!

See the goverment is not concerned with the inconvience of you living at home as a single bloke/girl

The list of needy cases are taken before yours... my suggestion is as a single person with no health problem you could inherit your parents house before the goverment give you one...so rent.

Look I wont be inheriting my parents house! Not everybody is as lucky! Renting is hard because you can only get something decent for 700 euros a month!!!! All I asked was is there any other good options out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

With respect.

What is your situation?

What age are you and how long have you been living at home?

The only thing i can suggest you look into is the affordable housing scheme because as a young person with no obvious reason as to why they need housing you probably arent ever going to get anything.

• Advertisement

Im 23 Im just living at home for the last few months wats the affordable housing scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Google it.

I dont know the in's and outs of it but if you fit the conditions you can buy and the state helps you out. There are catches however that are elsewhere on this board.

Do you have a full time job?
    Is having other people move into a house with you an option?

If you are 23 and single and with no health disability the state wont even look at you for a housing list. You'll have to do it the hard way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*confused*

First you said you are in your 30s then you said you were 23?

Renting or buying seem to be your options.

"I wanted to go on the housing list so at least Id have some chance of getting a house once Im in my thirthys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

coco wrote:
    "I wanted to go on the housing list so at least Id have some chance of getting a house once Im in my thirthys"

You need a job first.

They wont put you on the list if you have no reckonable income.

If you have no intention of buying until in your 30's, 10 years average time in your case, your wasting the councils time and taking up a valuable place to someone in need.

Contrary to whats been said here, single blokes/girls have got housing off the council via affordable scheme so long as they had jobs with evidence of savings.

After all, household formation is needed or all the 'poor' who can't afford a house on the open market would be living with their parents till they're in their 60's.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

gurramok wrote:
    Contrary to whats been said here, single blokes/girls have got housing off the council via affordable scheme so long as they had jobs with evidence of savings.

My understanding is the housing list is not the affordable housing list.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Housing list = social housing/council housing/corporation housing from what I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Yeah, affordable housing has nothing to do with social housing/housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

So which is coco referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Coco,

Are you in full time employment for the last 6 months?
    Do you earn between 30-40k a year?
    Would you be a first time buyer?
    Have you about 10-15k deposit?
    Would you be able to show savings of €750 a month for 3 consecutive months before application?

If it's yes to all of them then I'd suggest the affordable housing scheme with Fingal CoCo. Your car loan would go against you though, but you haven't provided figures so you may have that paid off shortly.

No Idea,Social I was presuming.

CoCo - are you outside of Dublin?

It opens your options significantly.

Advertisement